talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Festool > Festool Tools

Festool Tools Discussions about Festool Tools and Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2013, 08:36 PM

Default My answer to the plug-it pigtail dilemma

I own several non-Festool tools which I need to connect to the dust extractor and have come up with a relatively simple solution. Instead of trying to obtain a few of the plug-it pigtails (almost impossible & if successful, at great expense) or obtaining the component female plug-it part from e-kat & trying to modify your non-Festool tool to accept it, I have come up with this solution & have modified three of my tools. {Photo#1}

Using readily available midget twist-loc cord connectors & plugs from Hubbell, parts # HBL 7464V & HBL 7465V,
{Photo#2}I have made interchangeable cord connections. The process is as follows -

1 - Take a Festool plug-it power cord & cut it about 15 inches from the plug-it end & install a 7465 (male plug). {Photo#3} On the remaining length of power cord install a 7464 (female cord connector). {Photo#4} Connect them together via the midget twist locs and you have a power cord that plugs into all your Festool units {Photos#5,6} and has the capability of accepting other tools fitted with a 7465 (male plug)
2 - On each of your non-Festool tools, do the same, cutting the power cord approximately 10 inches or so as it leaves the tool & install a 7465 (male plug)which will allow it to be connected to the dust extraction system
{Photos#7,8,9}
3 - If you desire, you can do as I did and install a 7464 (female cord connector) on each of the remaining non-Festool power tool cords to allow for individual use separate from the Festool system.
{Photo#10}

This method can also be used on Festool units that were built without the plug-it feature.
Attached Thumbnails
my-answer-plug-pigtail-dilemma-1-non-festool-tools.jpg   my-answer-plug-pigtail-dilemma-2-7464-7465.jpg   my-answer-plug-pigtail-dilemma-3-plug-modify.jpg   my-answer-plug-pigtail-dilemma-4-plug-modify.jpg   my-answer-plug-pigtail-dilemma-5-ts-55-connected.jpg  

my-answer-plug-pigtail-dilemma-6-ts-55-connected-2.jpg   my-answer-plug-pigtail-dilemma-7-biscuit-cutter-connected.jpg   my-answer-plug-pigtail-dilemma-8-orbital-sander-connected.jpg   my-answer-plug-pigtail-dilemma-9-half-sheet-sander-connected.jpg   my-answer-plug-pigtail-dilemma-10-tool-power-cords.jpg  

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-03-2013, 11:11 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas
Default Re: My answer to the plug-it pigtail dilemma

Looks like a good system! I like the idea of the twist-lock plugs. Why aren't they on every tool and extension cord intended for work use?

And:

Great first post!

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-04-2013, 12:04 AM
Founding Member

Great first post.

This is a more reasonable approach than retro-fitting Plug-Its I think--and I did try that path.

Tell us more about that very tidy boom-let for the vac hose, please.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:18 AM
Super Moderator

Very cool approach. And what a nice clean shop!!!

Old 12-04-2013, 02:07 AM
Super Moderator

Nice solution. Especially for those that want to wrap a cord onto their extraction hose…

Actually great minds think alike:

Plug-It SYSTEM HACK! Bringing non-Festools into the fold

Glad to see this idea in action, so to speak.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedYoung View Post
Great first post.

This is a more reasonable approach than retro-fitting Plug-Its I think--and I did try that path.

Tell us more about that very tidy boom-let for the vac hose, please.
I like that name "boom-let", much better than my name for it "hose & power cord holder".
I needed to get the hose & power cord out of my way, it was always dragging up from the vacuum on the floor & snagging on edges. This started out as a quick fix for my temporary setup until I build my rolling cart to house the MFT and specific tools & accessories. Originally it was in a fixed position 90 degrees to the MFT but then I thought adding a swivel feature would increase ease of use. I use the TS-55 with my Midi Vac which is dedicated to the TS-55 and will be kept onboard the rolling cart when completed. The addition of the swivel feature convinced me to leave well enough alone, so I will not tinker with it anymore.
Removal of the hose & power cord from the boom-let is easily done by sliding out the five closure slides. The photos show the basic construction of the boom-let.
Attached Thumbnails
my-answer-plug-pigtail-dilemma-1-boom-let-midi-vac.jpg Midi Vac.jpg
Views:	3944
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	8051   my-answer-plug-pigtail-dilemma-2-boom-let-swivel-assembly.jpg   my-answer-plug-pigtail-dilemma-3-boom-let-175deg-left.jpg   my-answer-plug-pigtail-dilemma-4-boom-let-175deg-right.jpg   my-answer-plug-pigtail-dilemma-5-boom-let-hose-capture-open.jpg  

my-answer-plug-pigtail-dilemma-6-boom-let-closure-slide.jpg   my-answer-plug-pigtail-dilemma-7-boom-let-hose-capture-closed.jpg  
Old 12-04-2013, 11:08 PM
Founding Member

Default Re: Boomlet

Nicely done, Squarecut.

I can see how removal/replacement of the hose would be very easy because it's laying in a channel rather than being hung (Festooned?) from its support.
Old 12-06-2013, 02:18 AM

Unhappy Re: My answer to the plug-it pigtail dilemma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corwin View Post
Nice solution. Especially for those that want to wrap a cord onto their extraction hose…

Actually great minds think alike:

Plug-It SYSTEM HACK! Bringing non-Festools into the fold

Glad to see this idea in action, so to speak.
Amazing, in your 11/7/13 post on FOG you outlined exactly what I have done!
This is the first time I saw that post, so today I decided to post my solution on FOG. The post lasted about 4 hours and was taken down by the Global Moderator. I received this message from him -

"I really hate to inform you that I had to remove your first post on the FOG which was about modifying plug it cords due to the fact that it depicted modification of a Festool product. As a manufacturer owned forum we have to be very careful about modifications being depicted due to potential liability issues."

Surprisingly, your suggestion to do what I did was left up, but once it was depicted in detail in my post they quickly removed it. I wonder if the reason given regarding potential liability is the sole reason, or are they worried about potential loss of sales of the plug-it pigtail.

Last edited by squarecut; 12-06-2013 at 04:11 AM.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:28 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

I think it's just their lawyers talking. They don't sell the plug-it pigtails in the US or Canada, I think because they worry about user modifications causing product liability problems.

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 12-06-2013, 06:28 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarecut View Post
Amazing, in your 11/7/13 post on FOG you outlined exactly what I have done!
This is the first time I saw that post, so today I decided to post my solution on FOG. The post lasted about 4 hours and was taken down by the Global Moderator. I received this message from him -

"I really hate to inform you that I had to remove your first post on the FOG which was about modifying plug it cords due to the fact that it depicted modification of a Festool product. As a manufacturer owned forum we have to be very careful about modifications being depicted due to potential liability issues."

Surprisingly, your suggestion to do what I did was left up, but once it was depicted in detail in my post they quickly removed it. I wonder if the reason given regarding potential liability is the sole reason, or are they worried about potential loss of sales of the plug-it pigtail.
Yeah, I was very amazed too when you posted this, as it is something that I had in mind for a long time and only recently discussed it on that FOG thread. Glad to see what you've done, and also really like your boom arm setup.

Some like to use a D36 hose for the increased suction and then add a 'Dave Ronyak' adapter to use their sanders and other tools that require the smaller tool-end fitting on the D27 hose. With your plugit solution, one can just make a longer plugit pigtail for using with that adapter. So, I would think that your idea may get copied.

Sorry that the FOG's restrictions resulted in your thread being removed. I understand their position, but a little surprised that their restrictions would extend to the plugit cords -- not like you are opening up a tool… Anyway, I am glad that you found our forum and posted your plugit solution here for all to enjoy -- I know I enjoyed it!