talkFestool

talkFestool (http://www.talkfestool.com/vb/index.php)
-   Festool Tools (http://www.talkfestool.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   My answer to the plug-it pigtail dilemma (http://www.talkfestool.com/vb/showthread.php?t=6273)

squarecut 12-03-2013 08:36 PM

My answer to the plug-it pigtail dilemma
 
10 Attachment(s)
I own several non-Festool tools which I need to connect to the dust extractor and have come up with a relatively simple solution. Instead of trying to obtain a few of the plug-it pigtails (almost impossible & if successful, at great expense) or obtaining the component female plug-it part from e-kat & trying to modify your non-Festool tool to accept it, I have come up with this solution & have modified three of my tools. {Photo#1}

Using readily available midget twist-loc cord connectors & plugs from Hubbell, parts # HBL 7464V & HBL 7465V,
{Photo#2}I have made interchangeable cord connections. The process is as follows -

1 - Take a Festool plug-it power cord & cut it about 15 inches from the plug-it end & install a 7465 (male plug). {Photo#3} On the remaining length of power cord install a 7464 (female cord connector). {Photo#4} Connect them together via the midget twist locs and you have a power cord that plugs into all your Festool units {Photos#5,6} and has the capability of accepting other tools fitted with a 7465 (male plug)
2 - On each of your non-Festool tools, do the same, cutting the power cord approximately 10 inches or so as it leaves the tool & install a 7465 (male plug)which will allow it to be connected to the dust extraction system
{Photos#7,8,9}
3 - If you desire, you can do as I did and install a 7464 (female cord connector) on each of the remaining non-Festool power tool cords to allow for individual use separate from the Festool system.
{Photo#10}

This method can also be used on Festool units that were built without the plug-it feature.

Wonderwino 12-03-2013 11:11 PM

Re: My answer to the plug-it pigtail dilemma
 
Looks like a good system! I like the idea of the twist-lock plugs. Why aren't they on every tool and extension cord intended for work use?

And: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

Great first post!

NedYoung 12-04-2013 12:04 AM

Re: My answer to the plug-it pigtail dilemma
 
Great first post.

This is a more reasonable approach than retro-fitting Plug-Its I think--and I did try that path.

Tell us more about that very tidy boom-let for the vac hose, please.

Poto 12-04-2013 12:18 AM

Re: My answer to the plug-it pigtail dilemma
 
Very cool approach. And what a nice clean shop!!!

:welcome:

Corwin 12-04-2013 02:07 AM

Re: My answer to the plug-it pigtail dilemma
 
Nice solution. Especially for those that want to wrap a cord onto their extraction hose…

Actually great minds think alike:

Plug-It SYSTEM HACK! Bringing non-Festools into the fold

Glad to see this idea in action, so to speak. :clapping1:

squarecut 12-04-2013 09:41 PM

Re: My answer to the plug-it pigtail dilemma
 
7 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by NedYoung (Post 87426)
Great first post.

This is a more reasonable approach than retro-fitting Plug-Its I think--and I did try that path.

Tell us more about that very tidy boom-let for the vac hose, please.

I like that name "boom-let", much better than my name for it "hose & power cord holder".
I needed to get the hose & power cord out of my way, it was always dragging up from the vacuum on the floor & snagging on edges. This started out as a quick fix for my temporary setup until I build my rolling cart to house the MFT and specific tools & accessories. Originally it was in a fixed position 90 degrees to the MFT but then I thought adding a swivel feature would increase ease of use. I use the TS-55 with my Midi Vac which is dedicated to the TS-55 and will be kept onboard the rolling cart when completed. The addition of the swivel feature convinced me to leave well enough alone, so I will not tinker with it anymore.
Removal of the hose & power cord from the boom-let is easily done by sliding out the five closure slides. The photos show the basic construction of the boom-let.

NedYoung 12-04-2013 11:08 PM

Re: Boomlet
 
Nicely done, Squarecut. :thumbsup2:

I can see how removal/replacement of the hose would be very easy because it's laying in a channel rather than being hung (Festooned?) from its support.

squarecut 12-06-2013 02:18 AM

Re: My answer to the plug-it pigtail dilemma
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Corwin (Post 87429)
Nice solution. Especially for those that want to wrap a cord onto their extraction hose…

Actually great minds think alike:

Plug-It SYSTEM HACK! Bringing non-Festools into the fold

Glad to see this idea in action, so to speak. :clapping1:

Amazing, in your 11/7/13 post on FOG you outlined exactly what I have done!
This is the first time I saw that post, so today I decided to post my solution on FOG. The post lasted about 4 hours and was taken down by the Global Moderator. I received this message from him - :(

"I really hate to inform you that I had to remove your first post on the FOG which was about modifying plug it cords due to the fact that it depicted modification of a Festool product. As a manufacturer owned forum we have to be very careful about modifications being depicted due to potential liability issues."

Surprisingly, your suggestion to do what I did was left up, but once it was depicted in detail in my post they quickly removed it. I wonder if the reason given regarding potential liability is the sole reason, or are they worried about potential loss of sales of the plug-it pigtail.

Wonderwino 12-06-2013 04:28 AM

Re: My answer to the plug-it pigtail dilemma
 
I think it's just their lawyers talking. They don't sell the plug-it pigtails in the US or Canada, I think because they worry about user modifications causing product liability problems. :nuts:

Corwin 12-06-2013 06:28 AM

Re: My answer to the plug-it pigtail dilemma
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by squarecut (Post 87447)
Amazing, in your 11/7/13 post on FOG you outlined exactly what I have done!
This is the first time I saw that post, so today I decided to post my solution on FOG. The post lasted about 4 hours and was taken down by the Global Moderator. I received this message from him - :(

"I really hate to inform you that I had to remove your first post on the FOG which was about modifying plug it cords due to the fact that it depicted modification of a Festool product. As a manufacturer owned forum we have to be very careful about modifications being depicted due to potential liability issues."

Surprisingly, your suggestion to do what I did was left up, but once it was depicted in detail in my post they quickly removed it. I wonder if the reason given regarding potential liability is the sole reason, or are they worried about potential loss of sales of the plug-it pigtail.

Yeah, I was very amazed too when you posted this, as it is something that I had in mind for a long time and only recently discussed it on that FOG thread. Glad to see what you've done, and also really like your boom arm setup. :clapping1:

Some like to use a D36 hose for the increased suction and then add a 'Dave Ronyak' adapter to use their sanders and other tools that require the smaller tool-end fitting on the D27 hose. With your plugit solution, one can just make a longer plugit pigtail for using with that adapter. So, I would think that your idea may get copied. :thumbsup2:

Sorry that the FOG's restrictions resulted in your thread being removed. I understand their position, but a little surprised that their restrictions would extend to the plugit cords -- not like you are opening up a tool… Anyway, I am glad that you found our forum and posted your plugit solution here for all to enjoy -- I know I enjoyed it! :goodjob:


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:49 AM.