talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2008, 05:23 PM

Default Mr Maloof style Pedestal base, Glass Top

Hello!

Here's a Maloof style Pedestal I made last week. I have a lot of respect for Mr Maloof, (he's a genius:p ) and have always wanted to make his pedestal
I wanted to add a bit of my own twist to it, so I used the glass top. It's good for viewing the pedestal while sitting at the table

The wood used is American Black Walnut, the inlay at the top is Ash.
I mitered the legs on the table saw and put 4 Domino's in each (total of 32).
The rest is pretty much all hand work (which I enjoy) . The shaping was done with a Nicholson #49 rasp, and a Shinto saw rasp. sanded by hand to #600. Finish is Osmo PolyX.
I really enjoyed making this one:sdrool:
Cheers!
okami:tigersmile:
Attached Thumbnails
mr-maloof-style-pedestal-base-glass-maloolf-table.jpg   mr-maloof-style-pedestal-base-glass-maloolf-table-2.jpg   mr-maloof-style-pedestal-base-glass-maloolf-table-3.jpg  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-29-2008, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Mr Maloof style Pedestal base, Glass Top

Wow! Okamisan. These are beautiful! I'm sure that Sam would admire them, too. I often fantasize about him seeing one of my pieces, and inviting me to come and work at his studio to learn his craft. I think you'd have a better chance at that!

Beautiful shaping on the legs. Do you find it difficult to get them symmetric?

Where is your table going? Is it for you, or for one of your jobs?

And how's the karate tournament? Or has it not started yet?
Old 08-29-2008, 06:05 PM
Founding Member

Okamisan,

Lovely work! Great lines and balance, and I love the inlay work!

Regards,

Dan.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-29-2008, 11:58 PM

ThankYou

Using the rasps, I find it quite easy to keep everything symmetrical. The pace is nice and steady, not too slow, but not fast enough to make a big mistake before You realise You're going off course:tigersmile:
I pencil a line down the middle, and use that to work to, that helps me keep it balanced and flowing.
Things have been quite slow with orders lately, I don't have a buyer lined up for this I'd like to keep it for My wife and I, but if someone comes along with an open wallet, I'll take their hand off

I'm just about to go to the Karate Tournament venue. we have a lot of work to do today, setting up for tomorrow's (Sunday) fighting
Cheers!
Okami:tigersmile:
Old 08-30-2008, 04:00 AM

Wow!! Very impressive.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:20 PM

You have enjoyed making and I really enjoyed looking at your work, excellent.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:38 PM

Nice table Okami. There is a Shaker element to it too, that I've seen in some of their small pedestal and trestle bases. Nice spare lines. Is this for a customer?
Cricket
Old 01-11-2012, 11:12 PM

I made this back in 2008. You can see the date I first posted it
I didn't make it for a client, I've still got it
Old 01-12-2012, 06:46 PM

It's a shame not to have accompanied this work with more pictures of the process, I would like to make one like yours, Sam Maloof is one of my favorite carpenters and their work I have some doubts in this forum I hope I have for the translation resolver.
Es una pena no haber acompaņado este trabajo con mas fotografias sobre el proceso,me gustaria hacer una como la tuya,Sam Maloof es uno de mis carpinteros preferidos y sobre sus trabajos tengo algunas dudas que en este foro espero resolver.Lo siento por la traduccion.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:57 AM

Nice work Okami,

I think Sam said black walnut was one of his favorite woods to work with. I sure do like it. I copied one of his templates for that pedestal on one of my visits to his shop after he died but haven't made anything with it yet. The glass top shows your hard work in the top splines. Beautiful.