talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2020, 12:56 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Mission Bedroom Furniture

I'm curious why you stain them, Cricket. Wouldn't a nice oil finish do the trick? That wood's nice enough that I wouldn't have thought the stain was necessary.
Old 07-26-2020, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
I'm curious why you stain them, Cricket. Wouldn't a nice oil finish do the trick? That wood's nice enough that I wouldn't have thought the stain was necessary.

Several reasons. I'm using a blend of sipo, sapele, and sapele veneer, so it is hoped that the stain will bring the hue and value together somewhat. also, I generally think that the mahoganies, unless very special, can usually use some color. I didn't want the typical orange hue you get from a clear finish on mahogany. I played around with redder and browner colors, settling on the redder hue, though either would look nice. And I wanted a darker finish for this furniture. I realize that a lot of people want to see the natural wood, but I usually play around with color.

Thanks for commenting! I'm glad people are looking. I just got the first clear oil coat on today. Looking pretty good.

Jim
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-30-2020, 12:23 AM

My hardware came. Looks pretty good, about what was expected for the price point. Anyway, finishing continues. Here's a couple pics of the door pulls. This door has one top coat of Osmo over the oil stain. Gets one more, then buffed out. I'm pretty happy with the finish so far.

Jim
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-03-2020, 12:29 AM

One of the pair of tables is done. I just have to put in the drawer and top, plus hardware on the other one. We are painting the bedroom, so it will be a bit before I can install them. Now, if I have the chance, I'll try to get started on the headboard. The tables will make more sense with the backdrop of the headboard, and hopefully some new linens!

As i said a long time ago, before the pandemic, I used dovetailed maple drawers with Blum undermount slides. I'd still be fitting drawers otherwise. Looking forward to showing the pair together in situ.

Thanks for looking!
Cricket