talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2018, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas
Default Re: Staked Stool

Great job!!! I have really enjoyed seeing the process and succession of steps to make this beautiful stool!

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-20-2018, 12:12 AM

Thanks gents. Of course I had intended from the beginning to paint the legs of this stool, and leave the seat natural. Painted chairs is part of the Windsor tradition, and chair makers like Peter Galbert, Elia Bizzari, and Curtis Buchanan use paint to beautiful effect on their pieces. I want the legs black. The bubinga has a lot of natural black in the grain, which works well with the black legs. The way to get nice blacks is to paint the parts red first, then black, rubbing through the black to highlight the underneath layers of red. And milk paint is the way to do this. I am using Real Milk Paint brand, that I get from Tools For Working Wood. Their shop is just blocks from my house in Brooklyn. Anyway, there is a good selection of rich and vibrant colors, in powder form which you mix with water to make the paint.

I taped off the seat underneath, and put on 2 coats of the red.

The red got sanded lightly, and scotch-brited between coats, and before the black. I put on 1 coat of black, and then rubbed that out with steel wool.

I finished everything with Osmo Polyx-Oil, rubbing it into the painted parts with #3-0 steel wool, and wet sanding the seat top with 320 wet or dry to create a slurry and fill the grain. The seat got 3 coats, sanded and rubbed in, and the legs were rubbed in with steel wool. I love the Osmo, it's got a thick, waxy texture, applies easily, and buffs out pretty nice.

I don't have great photos yet. Just bought some photo lights, so I hope I'll have some better pics soon. In the meantime, Here's a detail shot of the legs.

And that is that. Thanks for looking!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-20-2018, 02:53 AM

It is beautiful, paint and all, lol. I really think the paint adds to the look.

Who has the next project to share?? I will be wiring my 3 phase converter myself do to the 1200.00 the electrician wanted. Hope to have the saw running soon.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:47 AM

When I first saw this thread I thought "Oh, another stool, yawwwnnn...".

But this is spectacular!!

Great construction and an inspired finishing strategy. I'll never diss milk paint again.

Thanks for schooling me.

Last edited by jessecloud; 02-21-2018 at 12:47 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-21-2018, 01:15 AM

Did you rub through the black to expose the red? I didn't see any evidence of that.

I am curious about your point that red under black makes black blacker. The legs and entire stool look great. But I had never heard of an undercoat of red before.

Great project and wonderful execution!

Thank you!
Old 02-22-2018, 01:31 AM

Beautiful stool, you had me scared at first when I saw the red legs, but the black with some red scuffs looks perfect with the seat wood.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:33 PM

The black is just the one coat. When that dried, I went over all with #000 steel wool. Smooths it out and cuts through to the red a little. It's fairly easy to control how much red is exposed, but the coat is thin, so the black is very influenced by the red. When the oil goes on, it becomes almost translucent, and my amateur photos don't show it well. The milk paint is beautiful, and there are a great many color choices and effects.

Peter Galbert, as well as many contemporary chair makers have become masterful in the use of these finishes. I took this photo from Peter's blog post.

You can see some of the beautiful finishes he's getting, and I'd like to try the shellac interface he uses between coats. Look up some of his finished pieces. they are beautiful.

https://www.petergalbert.com/

Last edited by Cricket; 02-23-2018 at 09:36 PM. Reason: added a link
Old 02-24-2018, 08:29 AM

Absolutely beautiful, Cricket.

Thank you!