talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2018, 12:52 AM

Default Stand for an iPad, tablet or iphone/generic phone

So often, simple things are missed and it takes a lateral thinker to come up with an answer.
Many people wander about with iPads in their bags or cases and when they need to use them, they just lie them on a flat surface and go for it. Ergonomically bad, irritating as the angle of viewing is totally substandard.

My brother and I came up with a solution. The iPad et al stand.

So all it is, is a piece of timber approximately 22cm long x 14cm wide x 2.5-2.8cm deep.

The secret is the depth and angle of the cut in the base. The angle is 26 degrees and the depth of cut is 16 to 17mm. These are important, as 25-26 degrees is the ideal angle for watching the screen of the different devices used. The depth is enough for the device to stand up, but NOT so that it covers all the frame of the device, thereby blocking the bottom row of icons.

One more thing, iPads can come with a protective cover. To accommodate the larger width, just cut the groove a little wider with the table saw. (sorry, I use the table saw to make the groove. It's easy to do and you can cater to different widths.)

Finish and timber are up you.

People are dubious when they see it at first, but after using it for a night, they are hooked completely. They just make life with electronic PA's a breeze!

Regards,

Rob

Oh, a tip I learned the hard way. Use feet on the bottom rather than felt. With the felt they slide when used!
Attached Thumbnails
stand-ipad-tablet-iphone-generic-phone-img_0311-1-.jpg.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	9493  

Last edited by Ausrob; 01-01-2018 at 12:57 AM. Reason: more info
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-01-2018, 09:31 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Stand for an iPad, tablet or iphone/generic phone

It is a good solution, I've seen similar devices for a while now. Here's one example with two angle options https://www.cultofmac.com/141090/see...by-hand-video/
Old 01-01-2018, 10:05 AM

Hi Paul,

It does look good! Just wish people would use nicer timbers when making them. You probably guessed that the one I showed is Birds eye Maple. I made a couple out of Wenge and when I had oiled and finished them, they looked really stunning.

Regards,

Rob
Old 01-01-2018, 04:28 PM
Administrator

Yes indeed, a true craftsman like yourself often makes a seemingly simple object into a thing of beauty. A device like this is a perfect opportunity to showcase amazing materials.
Old 01-01-2018, 05:48 PM

Thank you Paul, I'm blushing!

Regards,

Rob