talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2018, 10:26 PM

Default Re: Yet Another Bench Thread

On this bench, I used a Benchcrafted Crisscross classic leg vise, with the tommy bar instead of the wheel. On the end, I used a Columbian steel vise for the tail vise. It's not quick release, but that doesn't matter that much to me. The leg vise was fairly fussy, but works exceedingly well. I couldn't be happier. The chop is ash, but 8/4 was not thick enough and I had to add a 3/4" piece on the inside to give me the needed 2-1/2". I left the chop unshaped until after all the fitting was done, and I was sure the thing worked smoothly.

I had it running nice, then had to disassemble it again to bandsaw the shape and chamfer the edges.

With that done, I fit the steel tail vise. This required a mortise in the end of the top to fit the steel face flush. I made a template and used a plunge router and finished with a chisel.

With the vise fit, I bolted down through the top with more 1/2" hex keyed allen bolts from Mcmaster. I like the black finish. With the vise mounted, I then made a wood chop from an ash offcut..

In use, the tail vise works very well. I'm quite happy.

Then I had to flatten the top. That's next time....
Cricket

Last edited by Cricket; 01-07-2018 at 10:29 PM. Reason: typos
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-13-2018, 09:46 PM

The top, and the other parts for that matter, sat around for quite a while, but I was pleased that the top stayed reasonably flat. It had a slight hollow in the top, no more that 1/16", so I called in the apprentice and got out the #5.

The grain made some twists and turn in some areas, so I had to hone a steep bevel on the block plane to deal with some tearout after we were pretty flat. Worked out pretty well.

Buzzy did a good job sweeping up!

Over Christmas I got the bench sanded and oiled. I used Liberon Finishing Oil, and liked it quite a bit. It's got a little varnish in it, and with 2 coats provides a slight sheen. I sanded only to 120, to maintain a little tooth. Looks good.

Just to the right of the tail vise you can see a small patch I had to put in where there was bad bit of grain. Looks fine.

The other fellow, Hobie, came up the next day to check out the finish and the patch of sun he found.

More later...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-13-2018, 09:52 PM

It is beautiful, I would be afraid to use it.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:47 AM

Fantastic bench! Really love the ash. Great choice on the hardware as well.

Are you going to build storage under the bench like drawers?

Thanks for the build progress photos -

neil
Old 01-14-2018, 03:12 PM

Not afraid to use it! I moved the bench into it's position on the tool wall, and started doing stuff.

Keep in mind that this little studio is in our spare bedroom in Brooklyn. I have a drill press, my hand tools, and I'll get a small bandsaw up here too. My MiniMax is too damn big. I'll be doing small furniture projects, boat models, and my newest fascination- chair making. To that end, I'm starting with a basic staked bench ala Chris Schwarz. I found a board out in the scrap pile at the boat shop that I thought was walnut, until I picked it up. Turns out it's bubinga. It's in the pics on the bench top. I don't know who left it there, but I nabbed it, and a new bench seat seems to be it's destiny.

I will be putting a tool cabinet under the bench, leaving space above for the holdfasts. The bubinga board was fortuitous, because I've been planning to use some beautiful figured bubinga veneer left over from a project in Greenwich Village, and the stool plank happens to match.

I have a couple of sheets of this, plus some matching veneer, and smaller scraps. It's been sitting around for 5 or 6 years now, might as well use a little for my tool chest drawer faces. More on that later.

Thanks for looking!
Old 01-14-2018, 06:21 PM

That's beautiful, Cricket, beautiful! All of it.

Regards,

Rob
Old 01-14-2018, 07:35 PM

So instead of going to your shop, you go to your room?? Do you get sent there when you have been bad???