talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2017, 01:47 AM

Default Re: Hal Taylor rocker

The Bridge City drilling jig is great for precision work. I actually got rid of my drill press after I bought one. Unfortunately they aren't currently in stock.

Drilling Jig - Bridge City Tool Works
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-24-2017, 02:10 AM

I could never get rid of my drill press
Attached Thumbnails
hal-taylor-rocker-img_2963.jpg  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-24-2017, 04:40 AM

That's the later version of the Walker Turner radial ram that I loved so much, but did sell when I got the drilling jig.

Took me a long time to realize that the jig did everything and more and with more accuracy than the press.

Biggest issue was my shop being very small and the radial being massive.

Beautiful piece of machinery no doubt.
Old 12-24-2017, 07:49 PM

Yes this one is a Rockwell Delta branded unit from the 1980s. I found it within 3 hours drive and being in such good shape could not pass it up. The thing was used in the wood shop of a pipe organ maker and has never seen a metal shop. I use it a lot for drilling large things that could not be done with a hand drill. This photo does not show the larger table wand vertical wing I made for it.
Old 12-28-2017, 05:13 AM

Backbraces on this rocker are designed to move when a person sits in the chair. The lower ends fit into a oval hole in the seat, this hole is made with a 1/4 inch router bit and a bushing following a guide template purchased from the mentor. He makes the template on a CNC router.

After forming the back braces via bent-lamination a several step process is used to fit the bottoms into the seat. The basic idea is to have nearly no twisting motion but free fore and aft motion. The fit is suppose to be snug with the corners mating nicely. I am happy to say mine turned out pretty well, good day in the shop.
Attached Thumbnails
hal-taylor-rocker-img_3516.jpg   hal-taylor-rocker-img_3517.jpg  
Old 12-28-2017, 09:27 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears

This is getting to be an even more serious build. Have you built one of these before? Stressfulllllllllllllllllllll.
Old 12-29-2017, 12:24 AM

No never built anything like this, stressful yes. I am getting to the point that a little mess up is very costly.
Old 01-04-2018, 05:28 AM

Today's project was to get the rockers drilled for screws, cut the "stacks" that become the transition to the rocker leg joint. I also rough cut the rocker tails.

The holes for the screws that reinforce the leg rocker joint are drilled at a nebulous angle that is hand drawn when you have the chair sitting on the rockers. First you mark the direction of the screw then the point where the screw goes in from the inside of the joint. I used my drill press to drill the holes. I wish I had paid more attention in Geometry class in high school.

Finding the correct angle and getting the bit in the correct position took a good deal of time for each of the 4 holes, not to mention clamping. In the end not all of them are perfect but they will work.

The Stacks were cut for the sweep from the rocker to the leg with some cleanup on the spinal sander. The tails were cut and did not turn out exactly the same, Some refining with the EC150 is in order. I like the sander because eit does not take away to much to fast. The right angle grinder with a 36 grit pad is good because it is fast and bad because it i fast....

Tomorrow I will do the rounding over on the rockers and then they will really begin to look like they are finished. I has to order some heavy weight sandpaper Indasa Redline for fitting joints, after it arrives I will fit and install the arms. The rocker work tonight is just something to to while I wait. My local guild is meeting here on the 9th and I would like to have the legs installed by then, we will see...

Sorry if the photos are hard to see, they all look ok when I preview, I have no idea while they seem to be sideways when posted.
Attached Thumbnails
hal-taylor-rocker-img_3526.jpg   hal-taylor-rocker-img_3531.jpg   hal-taylor-rocker-img_3533.jpg   hal-taylor-rocker-img_3534.jpg   hal-taylor-rocker-img_3529.jpg  

Old 01-04-2018, 07:56 AM

Better you than me!!

Regards,

Rob
Old 01-13-2018, 11:26 PM

This is a really nice project. I'm in the infant stages of the chair making exploration myself. Will take a while before I tackle a complex project like you have going. Chairs are a logical step when downsizing from boat construction (can't get anyone to fund the next big project). Lots of complex angles meeting curved surfaces. Rewardingly non-rectangular. Anyway, that's a beautiful piece you have there. You are looking great!
Cricket