talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2017, 02:47 PM

Default Teak Table Work

I'm rehabbing some Teak Outdoor Tables that sit outside our Lunch Room at work year round. With zero care over the years, you can imagine how they look now.
They're older Smith and Hawken tables, with metal leg support.
Very stout, even the hardware is still unbolting for me with no seized fasteners yet. Finish is 2 stage, One deep coat of Epifanes Teak Sealer, which has no UV protection in it, and several coats of Epifanes Rapid Coat, which is a Vanish with tinting built-in. It does have UV protection and 2 to 3 coats could be applied in one very long day with perfect conditions, but I'll settle for one coat a day.
If I left just the Oil Finish on by itself, I'd be staring at a failing Oil Finish in a few months time, and no one here would ever step in to redo it.
So, with a few coats of Epifanes RapidCoat, we get much more UV protection, plus lunch table protection from spilled food, Ketchup, etc.......

5 tables in all, 3 small, 2 bigger. 11 chairs as well.
Attached Thumbnails
teak-table-work-teak-table-work-001.jpg  
Old 06-07-2017, 02:51 PM

Default Re: Teak Table Work

Sanded to 80 grit... No point trying to fully level these tops, since they have the odd deep valley of wear in some slats. You'd lose too much wood trying to sand down to those deep 'canyons'. Far better to gently flatten to a point, then use safe Wood Bleach to get into the crevices with a soft brush for color evening.
Attached Thumbnails
teak-table-work-sat-radio-036.jpg  
Old 06-07-2017, 02:53 PM

Table top now rinsed off, with that Water Wet look, and the possible color lurking under all that Grey that used to be hiding it....
Attached Thumbnails
teak-table-work-sat-radio-037.jpg  
Old 06-07-2017, 03:07 PM

Single Coat of Epifanes Teak Sealer applied. It's the first time I'm using this product from them. Linseed Oil/ Resin mixture, so probably nothing special compared to other similar products, but it seems to dry pretty quick and the odor for two tables oiled is really low, so maybe those clever Dutch chemists tweaked things a bit with their formulation.
I've used Festool outdoor oil under Epifanes High Gloss Varnish in the past with no ill affects, so I don't expect any surprises using the RapidCoat over Epifanes Teak Sealer.
In case you're wondering, Rapid Clear has no tint to it, hence the name, and Rapid Coat is 'tinted for Teak'... If I don't like the tint it adds to the table after 1 coat, I'll switch to Rapid Clear and keep moving on..
If you notice the 'browner' table top in the background, that's Teak for you. Sometimes Golden, sometimes Brown... But still, BOTH look fantastic compared to that Grey splintered look...
Attached Thumbnails
teak-table-work-teak-table-work-005.jpg  
Old 06-08-2017, 06:01 PM

3 coats of Epifanes Varnish later, 2 of RapidCoat, 1 of RapidClear, and these two table tops are back at work and bolted to their metal bases.
3 more tables and 11 chairs to go....
Attached Thumbnails
teak-table-work-img_3132.jpg  
Old 06-10-2017, 02:45 AM

Started on the chairs with Starbrite Teak Cleaner and Teak Brightener. I went the Chemical route with the chairs to speed up the process and lessen the disassemble load of removing all those chair slats.
Non Acidic cleaner, but not that gentle on the wood either. The wood will need a full day of Hot Sun to dry out enough for any staining or finishing on Sunday....
Attached Thumbnails
teak-table-work-img_3134.jpg  
Old 06-10-2017, 02:48 AM

Post Chemical Cleaner and lots of Water Rinsing . We'll see how they look on Sunday.
Attached Thumbnails
teak-table-work-img_3135.jpg  
Old 06-10-2017, 05:12 PM

Wood dried out faster overnight than I expected. I don't think it's Teak either.
Softer, lighter and straighter grain pattern than Teak as well.
I've seen this wood before on Outdoor Furniture, it also gives off a faint fishy smell once Sanded as well.
I put two coats of Semco Teak Sealer on the 2 chairs and will try Cetol Natural Marine Finsh Tomorrow.
Old 06-11-2017, 12:19 AM

Went with Epifanes RapidCoat to use the brown tint of this Tinted Varnish as an modifier against the Yellow color of the wood slats.
I was worried that the Cetol Natural Teak color wouldn't be as brown over the Slats.
I'm going to have to sand between coats and add a reducer to this Varnish to slow down the drying due to our Hot and Dry Weather.....
Normally, the Rapidcoats don't need either one except the odd coat leveling sanding, but this weather has changed things up on me.
Attached Thumbnails
teak-table-work-img_3150.jpg  
Old 06-12-2017, 09:15 PM

Last photos before I leave this project along for awhile. Previous state of affairs...
Attached Thumbnails
teak-table-work-worktables-037.jpg