talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2017, 04:44 PM

Default Kitchen make over

The past few months have been taken up with a kitchen make over. There are two articles on my website.

The first deals with building Shaker doors in Hard Maple, and hand finishing with a water-based poly:

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furnitu...20Rebuild.html

The second article is the completed kitchen:

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furnitu...nComplete.html

Regards from Perth

Derek
Old 05-18-2017, 05:23 PM

Default Re: Kitchen make over

Looks beautiful, I enjoyed the detailed article on the cabinet doors - great craftsmanship and a lot of patience. Maybe I need to work on more patience instead of more tools. On second thought, I think I'll just keep buying tools.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-18-2017, 05:43 PM

Very nice. Is USA Hard Maple expensive down under? I would think shipping would be a killer.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-19-2017, 12:20 AM

Nice kitchen Derek. I've been procrastinating myself- for 25 years now. Time for me to follow suit. Your clear maple looks quite nice with that black waterfall granite. I know you both will enjoy it!
Cricket
Old 05-19-2017, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sta2lt View Post
Very nice. Is USA Hard Maple expensive down under? I would think shipping would be a killer.
Very expensive! I spent around $2000 for the Hard Maple (although I still have some over - now building a matching sofa table). This was mainly in 7 1/2' long x 10" wide and 2" thick rough sawn boards. Heavy. But sweet to plane and work with.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Old 05-19-2017, 07:05 PM

Derek, How many board feet did you get??
Old 05-22-2017, 02:31 PM
Administrator

Enjoyed following along on your project. Great final product as usual. Smart move on the GF poly application, I haven't had good results brushing it either.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:37 PM

Great work Derek!

Hard Maple, you say! Did you resharpen your tooling before and/or after the project?

I used Hard Maple on a few critical parts in one of my recent builds and neglected to reduce the router speed enough for a few passes. Fortunately the cuts weren't on any show surfaces. They were cut nice snd smooth, but lost their light coloring in places.

Charles
Old 06-07-2017, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sta2lt View Post
Derek, How many board feet did you get??
I didn't count ...

Regards from Perth

Derek
Old 06-07-2017, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesWilson View Post
Great work Derek!

Hard Maple, you say! Did you resharpen your tooling before and/or after the project?

I used Hard Maple on a few critical parts in one of my recent builds and neglected to reduce the router speed enough for a few passes. Fortunately the cuts weren't on any show surfaces. They were cut nice snd smooth, but lost their light coloring in places.

Charles
Hi Charles

Hard Maple is not abrasive like West Australian timbers. It as a pleasure to use - tight grain and great with detail - but it can tear out on knots really easily ... unless one uses a double iron. Then it is straightforward. I did notice it could burn easily if using a router.

Regards from Perth

Derek