talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2017, 03:37 AM

Default Red Gum Slab Coffee Table.

Well, after just over 12 months off, I finally ventured into the shed with serious
intent.
Someone called me and asked if I could make a table from a Red gum slab he cut and stored about 30 years ago! Always one for a challenge I took it.

The timber was grey in colour and a ragged around the edges. After some solid sanding starting at 80grit(Granat) pads followed by my routine sanding procedure it appeared like a newly milled and prepped piece of 35mm deep timber, but with a "live' edge.

I found some highly figured red Gum 70mm x 70mm boards and proceeded to make legs and rails for the table. Then the oiling began. Each piece of the table was finished using Organoil Hard Burnishing Oil. Total time to complete the process: about 24 hours.

The rails were joined to the legs using 10 x 50 dominoes. Buttons to hold the top to the frame were made from 8 x 40 dominoes. A final finish with HBO and the table was ready. It went to it's new home today. Photos will follow shortly. You can see the photos here

Regards,

Rob
Old 02-04-2017, 07:05 PM

Default Re: Red Gum Slab Coffee Table.

Rob, The web site the link goes to will not allow us to look at the photos with out registering.

Mark
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-04-2017, 10:39 PM

OK, I shall post them here later today (Sunday here)

Sorry about that.

Regards,

Rob
Old 02-06-2017, 04:30 PM

Good to hear from you Rob, looking forward to the pictures.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-09-2017, 04:42 AM

Hi all, bear with me. I am looking for S/W which will allow me to reduce the data in the images to "k" rather than "Meg" images.

Regards,

Rob

I am succeeding slowly...more to come.
Attached Thumbnails
red-gum-slab-coffee-table-img_0008.jpg   red-gum-slab-coffee-table-img_0015-1.jpg   red-gum-slab-coffee-table-img_0026.jpg  

Last edited by Ausrob; 02-15-2017 at 08:14 PM.