talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2016, 03:02 PM

Default Filling gap before staining

I'm making a table like Peters side table. Since this is the first piece of furniture I've made I began with a test table from scraps around.

I have gaps in two of the leg joints and I am looking to fill them in before staining. I'm wondering what's the best way to do this.

http://www.talkfestool.com/vb/member...317-image.html

Last edited by WCR; 02-13-2016 at 03:06 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-14-2016, 01:56 AM

Default Re: Filling gap before staining

Welcome to the Forum WCR,

Using any kind of wood filler is going to be a mistake. Your best best is to fix the gap; looking at your picture, I would probably cut off that section of top and edge glue another board on and re-cut the corner, maybe making a template that fits perfect and then use that to route the corner?

Another option might be to make it a design element and put an inlay around the leg hiding the gap. You could also make the gap uniform and make it appear like the gap was intentional.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-18-2016, 04:27 AM
Super Moderator

Yes - Rutager has it.

I've had this same problem. It arises because the initial cut-out in the table was not perfectly square (or the leg piece was not perfectly square). These have to be PERFECTLY square - every tiny deviation from 90 degrees is magnified along the length of the joint. Those gaps will never go away.

I spend a LOT of time ensuring that the cut-out is perfectly square. I use a rabbet plane and a square, and check it frequently. Once the square sits in there with absolutely no gap anywhere, you can use the router to cut the tenon. But if you route before the cut-out is square, it will never close properly in the joint.

But, as Rutager says, if you try to fill the gap with anything, it will show - and bother you FOREVER. (I know this from bitter personal experience.)
Old 02-19-2016, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
Yes - Rutager has it.

But, as Rutager says, if you try to fill the gap with anything, it will show - and bother you FOREVER. (I know this from bitter personal experience.)
Yup, don't go there bro! Some day soon you will be a much better woodworker and look back on that filled gap like this: