talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2015, 04:27 AM

Default Walnut dining table

Just completed this table for my son and his wife.

Overall dimensions are 42" wide x 72" closed with two optional 16" leaves opening up to a full 104" with both leaves.

Ordered the walnut from Horizon Hardwoods out of Pennsylvania. They do an excellent job and shipped 9 sequential flitch cut pieces from the same log as well as rift sawn stock for the legs. I highly recommend them as I've ordered from them several times in the past.

Wood arrived and was as wide as 25" with all pieces 9' plus in length. We used about half of the supply and will use the balance for a sideboard in the future.

Pieces were edge-jointed with a TS-55 on a long rail and then crosscut to rough length.

I was fortunate to find a local shop that had a wide belt and 24" planer for thicknessing the large panels. Bernhard Woodwork in Northbrook, IL (Chicago suburb) was excellent and they have an amazing shop - about the size of a football field it seems with wood storage and all their machine and assembly areas. I was surprised they would take a small planing job but they turned it around in under a day's time.

Legs are fixed and the top separates to reveal leaf storage below. A sliding dado facilitates opening of the table.

Dominos attach the legs to the cross brace and knock-down hardware into epoxy-secured inserts allow the table to be disassembled for movement. Top was sanded to about 15/16" and finish sanded with a ETS 150/3 sanding to 320 grit. Legs were tapered on the tablesaw and then planed to final size. The two top pieces and end rail details were pattern routed. The top was a bit of a challenge as it has a 147.75" radius detail on each end, which was interesting to set up with a router on a long arm to create a pattern out of hardboard, but it worked great. That hardboard template was finish sanded with a ETS 150/3 on the edge and then stuck to the top for pattern routing on the Festool router table.

Finish was two coats Maloof oil / poly followed by four coats of General Finishes satin wipe-on poly. Light hand sanding with 600 grit between coats.

Photos follow. I also have a sketchup model if anyone is interested.

Thanks for looking -

Neil
Attached Thumbnails
walnut-dining-table-img_0092.jpg   walnut-dining-table-img_0093.jpg   walnut-dining-table-img_0095.jpg   walnut-dining-table-img_0097.jpg   walnut-dining-table-img_0098.jpg  

walnut-dining-table-img_0105.jpg   walnut-dining-table-img_0106.jpg   walnut-dining-table-img_0109.jpg   walnut-dining-table-img_0114.jpg  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-24-2015, 06:59 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Walnut dining table

Utterly stunning, Neil! Amazing!

And it would look really nice in my house...
Old 11-24-2015, 12:00 PM

Beautiful.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-24-2015, 03:59 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears

Extremely nice, and just in time for Thanksgiving. Waiting for the sideboard build. It's pretty inspiring to see such nice work.
Old 11-25-2015, 07:19 PM

It is a beautiful rendition of a well thought out design. I, also, am looking forward to seeing what you do with the sideboard.

I am also interested in seeing the SketchUp model.

Charles

Last edited by CharlesWilson; 11-25-2015 at 09:58 PM.
Old 11-25-2015, 09:39 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

Looks great, Neal!!! What an heirloom for your family!

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 11-26-2015, 01:49 PM

Very nice table Neil, and a perfect use for those beautiful walnut boards. Walnut is a hard find these days. Our typical suppliers are getting narrow and short, with a lot of defects. I'll have to look into Horizon. Great job!
Old 11-26-2015, 02:00 PM

'nother question. Does Horizon have a minimum? some dealers want a 500 bd' order. Also, I like the cross grain orientation you used. It's unusual and compelling.
Old 11-26-2015, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

Cricket, you might check with Wickham Solid Wood Studio in Beacon, NY. I visited her shop last year & Jessica reclaims storm damaged urban hardwood. She had hundreds of slabs and full tree flitches in her shop. Lots of BIG wood! I don't know that she sells materials, but it would not hurt to ask. Plus, Beacon is only about 2 hours North of Brooklyn.

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 11-27-2015, 05:53 AM

Thanks guys - appreciate the comments.

Cricket - no minimum on Horizon. They are really great to deal with. I've ordered under $100 in wood at a time with no issues.

HORIZON WOOD PRODUCTS

I've dealt with Dan there, but they are all great to deal with.

Charles - if you PM me your email address, I'll send you the Sketchup model.

neil