talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2015, 09:21 PM

Default Boat Shop Bench- New Boat Project

Hi Folks,
Long time since I posted, but I thought you might like to see some new projects we have going on out on Jamaica Bay in Brooklyn. I closed my business a couple years ago, sold the big stuff, and moved the little stuff out to Sebago to set up a real boat shop. I'd like to show you the bench we built, and the new boat we are building. The boat is a Point Comfort 23, a 23' power boat based on the Chesapeake deadrise workboats, designed by Doug Hylan. I made a little rendering of the boat-

More on that later. Our shop is in two parts. A tool room that is housed in an 8 x 40' shipping container, and the boat shop that is the space between two containers, covered over with a steel arched roof. The floor is dirt, which presents some interesting challenges for leveling things, most of which we solved with concrete footings. I wanted a long woodworking bench for planking and spars and the like. For the top, I used two layers of 1" thick multiply, with a half lapped seam built into the glue-up. There is an 8/4 by 4" thick ash apron around the front and two ends. The bench is 15' 6" long, and about 20" deep. I attached the top to a cleat on one wall of the container, and to three legs spaced more or less equally apart along the length. There is a steel face vise, a steel tail vise, and dog holes down the entire length.

We laid out the leg positions along the wall, and dug footings for the bench legs, which rest in typical post clips. We used a form to space the steel clips out from the wall, and a just measured the distances apart.

When the footings were set, I milled up the legs from some old doug fir posts (and hit a buried screw with the jointer), then braced them up plumb and shot their heights with a laser.

I'll continue this presently...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-08-2015, 09:55 PM

Default Re: Boat Shop Bench- New Boat Project

BTW, this is what the space looked like before the end walls went up.

Back to the bench. After marking the heights, I cut the legs to length and notched them to fit the ash apron on the bench. I also cut dog holes in each leg.

The apron front is dovetailed to both ends. I used half blind DT's painful though they were, to avoid end grain at the tail vise. Looks good too. I cut the tails on the bandsaw.

There's a little mistake in one of the tails, visible here, that I had to fill. Glued in a little pc. of ash there. I marked out the pins in the end boards from the tails in the front boards.

Cut the tails with a back saw, and routered out as much of the socket as I could.

More later...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-09-2015, 12:31 AM

Thanks for showing us the shop build - very interesting, great workmanship. Keep posting pictures for us all to participate vicariously.
Old 10-09-2015, 12:17 PM
Administrator

I admire the shop concept, haven't seen that configuration before.
Old 10-09-2015, 02:23 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears

How did you cut those posts that cleanly? They look like they were set when you used the laser to mark them.

Nice work. Looking forward to this thread. You've never ceased to amaze.
Old 10-09-2015, 04:08 PM

Thanks for looking, gents. The shop roof is pretty nifty. Very strong, and relatively cheap. I think it was around 11 or 12 K. We might have about 16K in the whole structure. All of the small boat storage, canoes and kayaks and the like are stored in those shipping containers. We have a bunch of them.

The posts were long when we set up the laser. I marked the height, then cut them to length and notched them on the table saw, and drilled the holes on the drill press.

This shows the plywood top, and the left end of the bench. The apron is dominoed to the top.

The two halves of the top were glued up on site, on top of my trusty long plywood beams which I've had since the first boat in the mid '80's.

We taped off the face of the tails so as not to get epoxy all over them. Forgot to mention, the whole bench is glued up with West epoxy, except the top is not glued to the legs in case we have to move it for some reason (like 5 feet of water in here during hurricane Sandy).

Here's the whole glue-up.

And here's the bench in use as a spar bench. Dog holes have not been drilled yet.

Leathering the fore mast for the peapod Mouse.

And planing a scarf for a new rubrail on another member's Skerry Skiff.

I'll post pics of the new boat under construction next time.
Cricket
Old 10-09-2015, 06:45 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

Nice! REALLY Nice!!!

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 10-09-2015, 08:46 PM

So, on to the boat construction. To build a boat, you have to have a perfectly level surface on which to set up your station molds. Has to be strong too. We built our strongback on three trestles, set into clips on concrete footings.

Laying out the footings.

At this point we didn't care how level the locations were, only that the grid was reasonably square and spaced out properly.

I did not want to have to line up 6 individual clips set into the concrete, so I decided to do the layout after the concrete cured, setting up with a laser, and drilling out for threaded inserts.

When I bolted the clips down, I lined them up again with the laser.

We then measured the relative heights of the pads, and custom cut each leg so that the tops of the trestles would be at the same height. These can be unbolted and removed, then reinstalled in the same location for the next boat.

That's the trestles. We'll set up the strongback frame next time. I'll put the coffee pot on....

Cricket
Old 10-09-2015, 11:43 PM
Super Moderator

What fun, Cricket! Thanks so much for sharing. I'm really looking forward to this thread - boat building is so intriguing, but so foreign and mysterious at the same time. Great work!
Old 10-09-2015, 11:59 PM
Super Moderator

I remember years ago wondering how I would make a strongback for making a kayak such that it would be true. Silly me...

Nice thread! Keep it coming.

Tags
boat building, boat shop, workbench