talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2015, 07:10 PM

Default Re: Boat Shop Bench- New Boat Project

We're all grateful for you letting us enjoy your great project. Everyday I have to go online to check the boat progress - enjoy the rollover! Not much great seafood out here in the middle of the desert, but I will consider a tuna fish sandwich in your honor.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-08-2015, 03:14 AM

Thanks so much Paul. I want to post just a couple pics now from the rollover today. I'll come back after a night's rest and put up a blow by blow, but suffice to say now, the day's rollover and feast was a huge success. About 30 people came down to help and celebrate, and pick the name for the boat.

Picking up and going out.

Going back in.

As I said, I'll give a full report tomorrow. Thanks for looking.
Cricket
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-08-2015, 03:37 AM
Super Moderator

Looks like it was all smiles, even during the roll. What a crew!
Old 11-09-2015, 05:19 AM
Super Moderator

Exciting!
Old 11-09-2015, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

Looking good! I can't wait to see it on the water!

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 11-09-2015, 10:13 PM

What a crew!

How do you know where the waterline will be without putting it in the water?

Thanks for taking the time to post, very interesting stuff- got to believe every woodworker has at least thought about building a cedar strip canoe if not something bigger.

Poto probably has dreams of building one that rivals the Queen Mary!
Old 11-10-2015, 12:49 PM

The designed waterline is calculated by the designer from hydrostatic data generated from the lines plan. If you know what your vessel weight will be (you better know that), and your intended load, you can design around that and other criteria to produce a volume with the target displacement and the optimum shape for a given speed, use, loading, etc. This topic will fill volumes of text, of course.
More later....
Old 11-12-2015, 06:39 PM

I meant to continue the rollover and relocation, but got too busy. While the boat was outside, our crew ran in and dismantled the strongback.

We then added some sleeved blocking over the trestles to elevate the boat to a better height for working both inside, and underneath.

We leveled these with a laser, though the the trestles were still within 1/8" of level still, after all the construction. These sleeves are carpeted for the keel to sit on. We went back in with the boat, and set it upright on the trestles.

The waterline was checked all the way around the boat, and the boat was temporarily braced upright and level with 2x4's to the ground.

Feast time! We went to the club house and chowed down on hoppin john, collards, oyster and monkfish stew, steamed shrip, and Brooklyn Summer Ale.

Previously, I had asked all the club members to drop a name into the box for the new boat. I published those, and we all voted for two of those. The two winners were put into a hat, and Severn's boy Kaspar drew the winner. So our new boat is named Canarsian, which is a resident of Canarsie Brooklyn, where our club resides.

Back upright in the shop!

I'll continue this post this evening, when I get home. Lunch is over and it's back to work.
Cricket
Old 11-12-2015, 09:45 PM

Whadda you doing for a boat name and graphics.
I could make them at super-good-guy-fellow-wood-worker price.
Mark

Call her the Festroller?
Old 11-13-2015, 12:24 AM

Sign Guy, I'll probably go with vinyl lettering that includes our burgee. I have to do the artwork. It'll be a while, but I'll put up some graphic of what I have in mind. Thanks for the offer.

Meanwhile, to return to the set up. As I said, we were shored up level temporarily, and then we ran a 2x8 across the aft two trestles, resting on the concrete footings, and screwed into the trestles themselves. Then we just dropped struts down to the 2x8, screwing them in and shimming them for firm contact with the ground. We're going to do a lot of walking around in the boat, and I want it to stay level and well supported. The struts have plywood pads with carpet, and make firm contact with the bottom right at the chine. A pretty strong point of support.

Now we get to look at the inside. Kind of plain now, before any of the structure and furniture goes in. Blank canvas, if you will.

Here's the bow planking. I haven't started cleaning it up yet, but it's not too bad. The whole boat is pretty clean on the inside.

Some 80 grit and a soft pad on the Festool RO will take care of that. Then we've got a lot of screw holes to fill, and a mile of fillets to run in all the inside corners, before we start fitting the floors. We'll have to true up the sheer before long too, so we can fit the fwd bulkhead and get the deck crown figured out. But I'm ahead of myself. I am looking forward to designing the console and dash, and figuring out all the electrical, steering, and control conduit that we have to run. The inside joinery is the fun stuff!

Can't wait to get out to the boat shop tomorrow!

Tags
boat building, boat shop, workbench