talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2015, 03:47 AM

Default Re: Boat Shop Bench- New Boat Project

On to the glassing now. Glassing a boat of this size is not a casual undertaking. We had a good crew and were well prepared, but it still took a good long day to get the glass on. I had previously glassed just the keel, with 12oz biaxial tape, so on the big day, we just had to focus on the hull proper. I'll start with the keel first.

I used biax on the keel, because it wraps around curves very well, with the fibers on an opposing 45 deg. axis. The downside of this is that the weave is very open, and takes a lot to fill with epoxy. You want the fibers of any glass sheathing to be completely covered , so that sanding does not cut into the glass itself.

Carol is wetting out the tape in this shot. You can see the keel fillet. We let the biax tape run down onto the hull, and will overlap that joint with the cloth we put on the hull. All glass joins are overlapped.

The biax is quite open, and hard to fill with liquid epoxy, so we ended up troweling quik fair into the weave, which didn't take too long, and will save some time down the road.

We put the glass on the weekend after taping the keel.We had a pretty intense first day, getting the glass cut, on, and stuck down, but we had a great crew. I first spent some time feathering the biax edges we laid on the keel, then Chris and Patrick started cutting the cloth. Our roll was 50" wide, so we cut lengths to lay athwartship, overlapping the edges by about an inch. There was no selvage, so the overlaps are not too bad. By the time we were ready to mix epoxy, Hans and Lynn were there with their friend Kevin. Chris had to leave to go watch his daughter give birth. I thought his priorities were mixed up, but a first grandchild was deemed more important than glass on the boat. We had a great crew, and spent a good 8 hours with no breaks sanding, then cutting glass, then spreading on the epoxy. The System 3 was perfect, easily wetting out the fabric, with plenty of time (slow hardener). Here's the pics (shot with an Ipod, I forgot my camera)

This wallpaper brush did a great job of smoothing the glass out. I highly recommend this!

We mixed up about 6 oz. of epoxy at a time. A good quantity to use for getting the stuff on and squeegeed out.

Hans is using the squeegee. to spread out epoxy. A roller will lift the cloth, but the squeegee sticks it down to the boat, and spreads the epoxy out real nice.

We used little tabs of blue tape to hold the glass in place while applying the epoxy.

This was day one of the weekend. On day two, we came back (with a fresh crew except for me) and filled the weave with epoxy. With System 3 and slow hardener, you have 72 hours to re-coat before you need to sand. Multiple coats of epoxy are always best on "green" coats, to ensure primary bonding. We trimmed the cloth that hung down around the sheer with a knife. This time, we used a roller to spread the epoxy, after squeegeeing. The roller puts down an even coat. The bubbles are then tipped off with a brush.

The crew.

And the shiny boat. We got two coats on that second day, and filled up the weave pretty well. We used about 3 gallons of epoxy for the whole job, from laminating the cloth, to filling the weave. Now comes more fairing! That's next time.

Cricket
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-31-2015, 05:17 AM
Super Moderator

The crew looks proud of a job well done! Bet you're all glad that's done. Looks very nice.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-31-2015, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

Great progress! Earlier you had mentioned fixed wooden trim tabs on the stern. Do these go on over the finished bottom, rather than being embedded in the glass? If so, does the penetration for fasteners create any leakage problems?

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 10-31-2015, 07:40 PM

Looks like great work! Thanks for sharing your project with us, fascinating to watch.
Old 10-31-2015, 08:56 PM
Super Moderator

"Our roll was 50" wide, so we cut lengths to lay athwartship, overlapping the edges by about an inch. There was no selvage, so the overlaps are not too bad."

Okay - now you're just making up words...
Old 11-01-2015, 01:05 AM

It's really coming along now! Fascinating to watch
Old 11-01-2015, 03:15 PM

Thanks guys. The trim tabs are built up from quik fair, which is a two part epoxy putty. I'll get to that bit pretty soon, but there aren't any fasteners through the glass there. There will be later, as we screw the spray rails on and screw through the outside of the hull into the structural floor timbers. Those will be filled with quik fair.

Some glass, and particularly woven tapes (the biaxial tape is stitched, rather than woven) have a thicker edge, called the selvage, that runs parallel to the warp (long axis of the cloth, weft is across). I looked it up, and wiki says that the word is a corruption of "self edge", in use since the 16th c. when, I guess, mechanized looms came into use (I'm guessing).

To continue- After the epoxy fill coat cured, we sanded with the R/O and 80 grit. Epoxy is tough stuff, and we used a lot of discs. It's interesting that once you make the initial cut through the shiny surface, it sands easier.

We then started another round of fairing, and the keel needed quite a bit of fill.

The cloth overlaps need fairing, and we did several applications on those. I try to pull those coats down pretty tight, and so avoid sanding until the last coat.

Once the fairing was all done,we rolled one last coat of epoxy on the whole boat, then did another sand, first with 80 grit, then with 120.

Next up are the spray rails. Those are made from sipo, and are fitted down the whole length of the boat, just above the chine. They knock the spray down up forward, and provide a little more planing surface back aft. We cut up a 13' board of the sipo into 2 planks about 4-1/2" wide, and scarfed them together to make the whole length we needed. We got the pair of rails from this one 4-1/2" x 25' length.

Planing the two boards on edge.

We roughed out the scarf on the bandsaw, then planed them true on the bench. This is fast work.

The scarf was glued up on beams on the bench as usual.

That's where I'll leave us now. Next post we'll cut the rails, get them on the boat, and build the trim tabs. Some of this stuff happens simultaneously, so the linear presentation isn't quite accurate. But we are getting close to real time, and I'll catch us up to the present during this week. The rollover is next Saturday!

Cricket
Old 11-04-2015, 12:51 AM

This is the spray rail xsection (on left). Rub rail comes much later.

We ripped this out on the tablesaw, and planed it smooth. The sipo works pretty well, but it's not real stable. Wanked up a bit.

Long rips!

At the same time, we were working on the trim tabs. We made little forms to trowel on layers of Quik Fair.

Checking for flatness. It took several applications to fill up the forms.

We finished shaping the rub rails, and fitted them to the boat. The forward end has a compound bevel cut, to fit the stem at the correct angle. I made a sample cut from scrap, and tuned it up.

This is what the finished cut looks like.

We spent a bit of time eyeballing the spray rails as we fastened them on, so the line was fair. The rail is what you see at the chine so has to be right.

When both rails were cut to length and dry fastened, we blue taped above and below, to keep the hull clean.

Starboard side. All glued on.

The bottom of the rail (the top side in this pic, with boat upside down) comes right to, or just slightly above the start of the chine radius. We are running a fillet down that edge, as we will also on the topsides, after the boat is flipped. It's too hard to get to upside down.

Next up is the primer! Stay tuned.
Cricket
Old 11-06-2015, 03:42 AM

Ready for primer!

I spent most of a Friday, working alone, finishing up the sanding and whatnot, getting ready for the weekend's painting. After a good deal of thought, I decided on System 3's epoxy based, two part primer. This paint is waterborne, but catalyzed, and is good above and below the waterline, and works under any marine top coat. The bottom will get anti-fouling, as the boat will live at the dock for 6 months of the year.

After sanding, there were still some little shiny pockets, so on Saturday we went over the whole hull with scotchbrite pads.

We started out cutting in the keel and stem with a brush.

Then we rolled and tipped the hull. This worked well, with Javier rolling, and Holly tipping. I came behind and brushed out the spray rail, and kept an eye peeled for any sags. The paint is nice. Goes on easy, and flows out pretty well for primer. We had enough working time, yet the stuff catalyzes within about four hours. It dries by evaporation, but then cures as well, taking several days to reach full cure. It can be second coated next day, and you can wait up to 72 hours for further coats without sanding. Nice stuff, but pricey at about $100 per gallon. Good bottom paint runs $250 to $300 a gallon.

On Sunday, we did the second coat, with a new crew. Holly was off racing in the first of her frostbite series for the winter at Seawhanaka Yacht club, in Oyster Bay. She races every Sunday now until April. I stay behind and work on the boat.

Here she is all primed, two coats. Looks pretty good.

The trim tabs had just been epoxy coated, so will have to wait for priming. I'll catch them up after rollover.

There's a couple more things to do before rollover, like marking out the waterline. I'll post that stuff tomorrow.
Old 11-07-2015, 03:59 AM

Getting ready for the rollover tomorrow. We bolted on some 2x8's to roll over on, and put some eye bolts through the building from which we'll hang some tackle to control the roll on the way down. We will take the boat outside to roll, and use people for the lifting and rolling. We'll have 20 or so willing hands. I really don't know how much she weighs now, but not over 6oo lbs. I don't think. I did not put any time into building a real cradle. I don't think we'll need it.

I did remember to climb inside and mark the stations on the inside of the hull on the molds we have left in. And I also remembered I wanted to lay out the DWL on the hull, so that she can be set up level again when we carry her in right side up. When we set up the molds, we marked a benchmark in several places around the shop where we can always come back to. I found those, and set the laser up to the mark plus 2", which is where the painted WL will be.

The magnetic mount is attached to a piece of steel angle clamped up in the bench vise.

We marked it out in several places, then used a batten to fair in the line around the hull. We had to move the laser around a bit to reach all of the hull.

That's what the WL looks like as it crosses the spray rail.

So now we are up to date. Tomorrow is the rollover, and celebration. We have Hoppin John, collard greens, oyster and monkfish chowder, steamed shrimp, and rolls with butter, plus a fridge full of Brooklyn Summer Ale. It's an event!

Cricket

Tags
boat building, boat shop, workbench