talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2015, 05:48 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Boat Shop Bench- New Boat Project

Nice!
Old 10-12-2015, 06:33 PM

Thanks Poto- In addition to the machines I took out there from my shop, we bought a Grizzly bandsaw. I did not take my MiniMax out there. Too expensive.

Anyway, on to the transom. It has to rugged, with a 250 lb outboard hanging there. It's made from 2 layers of 18mm meranti ply. It will have framing inside the boat too, but that will be added after roll over. We glued it up with epoxy, temp screws, and clamps.

And here it is on the setup.

The stem is made from a center layer of 18mm meranti, with 2 outside layers of solid doug fir. It's about 3" thick total. The planking gets trimmed flush with the inner stem, and then an outer stem goes on top of that, but that's down the road a piece. Here is a shot of the stem pattern we made, and which is used with a flush trim bit to cut out the actual pieces.

For the outer fir pieces, I made a tongue and grooved miter at the knee to avoid cross grain. The meranti core also helps support the joint.

You can see the tongue on the knee here. We are coating the laminates in preparation for the glue up.

The joinery is evident in the above pic. The inner stem is laying on the full size drawing, and the outer stem profile to come can be seen on the drawing.

The stem is an involved little structure, with a lot of work on just this one piece. Stay tuned...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-13-2015, 06:44 PM

Here's what the profiled and squared stem looks like.

The holes you see through the plywood core are for eventual bronze carriage bolts that go through both the inner and outer stems, and from the keelson through the knee portion, tying the whole structure together. I laid out the bolt paths on the outside of the stem, and bored through on the drill press. Then once it's time for the outer stem to go on, we'll bore from the inside out, with the drill press hole guiding the bit straight. We have a 3/8" x 12" hole to bore that must come out in the center of a 3/4" land on the outer stem.

Here's one of the holes.

And here's another. I just shimmed the thing so the bit follows the correct path marked on the outside of the stem.

Now the work begins. The stem has a winding bevel to accept the planking that must be cut. I do most of this on the bench, but fine tune the bevels right on the boat. It's a fussy, and tricky operation.

That pencil line you see on the side is called the "bearding" line. That is the point where the planking meets the stem on the inside of the boat. The planking lays across the full width of the bevel you see, and is cut flush with the face edge on the outside. This will become more clear when it's all set up on the boat.

This is a shot of the stem, with the chine logs and keelson set up. I'll come back to them later.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-14-2015, 05:40 AM
Super Moderator

I'm REALLY enjoying this!
Old 10-14-2015, 08:46 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
Me too!

The 'shop' sure looks like it has come a long way from its modest beginnings, judging from that last photo. Now it looks to be the boat's turn.

Old 10-14-2015, 06:33 PM

I jumped ahead a little with that last pic. Let me backtrack some.

This shows the stem and keelson set up on the molds. The keelson is cut to fit the transom.

The chines and sheer clamps are also cut to fit the transom, and the stem. The cut at the stem is a tricky compound bevel.

This pic explains the "blip", the extra plywood piece that was glued onto the stem that you can see in some of the stem pics. There has to be extra "land" created to catch the long bevel of the chine timber. This is done without unduly increasing the whole stem width (called "molding" in boat speak). I like to use temporary steel screws during glue-up, replacing them later with the permanent bronze screws. In the flurry of glue-up, it's all too easy to break off the softer bronze screws while driving them up. I like to carefully bore for the bronze, and lube them up to drive them. I use square drive silicon bronze.

Next time, we'll look at cutting the keel and chine bevels to accept the planking.

Thanks for the comments!
Old 10-14-2015, 07:09 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Yea I couldn't agree more. I'm learning a lot and there's still so much more left to do
Old 10-14-2015, 09:39 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

I'm really enjoying the progress as well. I've always fantasized about building a strip canoe. BTW, after a dozen or so boats, you might end up with a wood floor.

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 10-15-2015, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Perhaps I'm not looking at things from the right direction, but those doors don't look big enough to get a boat through...
You read my mind.....
Old 10-15-2015, 03:42 AM

Really nice work and explanations. Knowing next to nothing about boats and their construction, this has been a real treat with all the lingo.

Tags
boat building, boat shop, workbench