talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2017, 06:28 PM

Default Re: Boat Shop Bench- New Boat Project

To continue on- this from a couple of weeks ago. I'm a little behind, so I'll try to get us up to date.

The rubrails were scarfed up to length, about 25 feet long, and a shallow cove was worked on the backside to span the fabric seam that laps over the topsides from the deck. The old table saw trick, running crosswise over a shallow set blade.

A good shot of red oak soda straws (and the cove). Wouldn't use it down in the bilge, but I think it will be all right up on deck.

Having many hands makes twisting and screwing that 25' long stick much easier.

At this point, the rubrails were fitted and screwed on temporarily. We went back last weekend, and fastened them permanently, bedded in Dolphinite. They are not glued on which makes future repairs to a vulnerable area easier to do. There will be a 3/4" stainless steel half round band to go on to that flat land on the rubrail. $300 worth. Yikes!

I'll continue with last weekend's work this evening if I can.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-23-2017, 06:42 PM

We are working away, trying to get the deck and fittings buttoned up so we can paint. The coamings are all in, as well as the toe rails, rub rails (minus stainless half round which goes on after paint), mooring bitt, and the stem has it's final shape as well.

To backtrack a second. I set up the drill press for the chock in the toe rail, then chiseled, filed, and sanded out the opening.

The stem got it's final shape, a simple angle cut with a little extra sheer. The lines of all the components have an increasing visual lift as they reach the bow. One of the more pleasing aspects of deadrise style.

I marked it out and just grabbed a handsaw. A little awkward, as are most cuts on a boat in situ.

I hope to be at least starting the paint this coming weekend. Still some interior stuff to do though

Getting closer...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-24-2017, 02:36 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears

and looking fantastic!
Old 03-28-2017, 03:42 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

Wow! That looks about ready to launch!

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 04-28-2017, 01:32 PM

I see I've gotten behind in the posts, so I'll try to catch us up. Since the last one, we've finished the deck trim back aft, and have put 2 coats of Petit primer on deck, coamings, and toe rails. We've touched up the System 3 primer under the boat where we had screws driven from outside, and we've started building a gantry to hoist the boat to get a trailer under her.

This aft deck trim was glued on a little proud. Has since been planed flush, the ends trimmed, and all radiused to match the deck edge. So all ply deck edges have been either glassed or covered with glued on trim.

The deck is Kirby's Colonial Cream. Coaming and toe rails will be the same color as the seat inside. Rub rail will be black.

To continue...
We are building a gantry for permanent use that can be dismantled and taken into the shop. After launch, it will live outside, straddling the boat's winter storage location. I'd like to store her on blocks rather than the trailer to facilitate bottom paint, but we'll see. the gantry is wood, because we don't have metal working equipment out there yet. I have future plans for that, but I'll get arrested if I spend any more money right now. I drew the gantry to fit under the lights in the shop. If it needs to be higher outside for some reason, we can block it up. All 2x6 and 2x10 construction grade fir.

As you can see, there will be 2 chain hoists lifting a pipe spreader with a pair of web slings each side.

I'll add more hopefully later to get us up to date.
Old 04-29-2017, 12:46 AM

...Continued.

Since that picture was taken, the gantry has been painted. I just got the chain hoists in yesterday. Might work some more on that over the weekend. In the meantime, painting the exterior has been completed, except bottom paint.

Tomorrow we'll install a 3/4" stainless steel half round on the rub rail. All $450 of it! Expensive stuff, and 48' of it. Other details to attend to as well. Stay tuned. We're getting close.
Old 05-01-2017, 04:16 PM

Thanks for posting this - beautiful project. I now have a much greater appreciation for the artistry, craftsmanship and engineering that goes into keeping us afloat out there - great work and fascinating to watch.
Old 05-02-2017, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

Can't wait to see her o the water! Looking better every post!

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 05-03-2017, 02:42 AM

This would make an incredible coffee table book - the story of a boat!

Love the paint and all the details...
Old 05-03-2017, 06:33 PM

Thanks Paul! Here's a pic of the finished bulkhead and hatch to bow locker.

Back aft, I ran a length of gas line down under the sole. There will be a quick disconnect at the tank under the seat (not in the boat in this pic), and the aft end will connect to a fuel/water separator.

Notice here how the floorboard screws actually miss going through the hose. Glad we thought of that. Yes, that's a steel screw that was just in temporarily and has not been changed out yet. Any screws into hull below the waterline, or into the floors, are bronze. I used a lot of stainless screws elsewhere.

We also got the ss half round on the rubrail cut and installed. I ended up using a 4-1/2" grinder with a cutoff wheel, and cut the compound bevel in one go, touching up with a file. On the first one, I used a bench grinder for the angle, and it just cut too hot. We still used a lot of water in the cut. More work than I thought it would be, being careful to preserve the polished surface. Had to use a dremel and some rouge to polish the tips as it was.

We also started pulling some wire, and screwed in the p and s running lights. They look good with the stainless rub strip.

And we are close to finishing the gantry. Got the chain hoists in, and the web straps. Still need to rig them. Patrick got paint on the structure. Sebago blue.

And set up a scene from Jackass the movie.

I have to be away this coming weekend. Back on the boat after that.

Tags
boat building, boat shop, workbench