talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2017, 06:28 PM

Default Re: Boat Shop Bench- New Boat Project

To continue on- this from a couple of weeks ago. I'm a little behind, so I'll try to get us up to date.

The rubrails were scarfed up to length, about 25 feet long, and a shallow cove was worked on the backside to span the fabric seam that laps over the topsides from the deck. The old table saw trick, running crosswise over a shallow set blade.

A good shot of red oak soda straws (and the cove). Wouldn't use it down in the bilge, but I think it will be all right up on deck.

Having many hands makes twisting and screwing that 25' long stick much easier.

At this point, the rubrails were fitted and screwed on temporarily. We went back last weekend, and fastened them permanently, bedded in Dolphinite. They are not glued on which makes future repairs to a vulnerable area easier to do. There will be a 3/4" stainless steel half round band to go on to that flat land on the rubrail. $300 worth. Yikes!

I'll continue with last weekend's work this evening if I can.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-23-2017, 06:42 PM

We are working away, trying to get the deck and fittings buttoned up so we can paint. The coamings are all in, as well as the toe rails, rub rails (minus stainless half round which goes on after paint), mooring bitt, and the stem has it's final shape as well.

To backtrack a second. I set up the drill press for the chock in the toe rail, then chiseled, filed, and sanded out the opening.

The stem got it's final shape, a simple angle cut with a little extra sheer. The lines of all the components have an increasing visual lift as they reach the bow. One of the more pleasing aspects of deadrise style.

I marked it out and just grabbed a handsaw. A little awkward, as are most cuts on a boat in situ.

I hope to be at least starting the paint this coming weekend. Still some interior stuff to do though

Getting closer...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-24-2017, 02:36 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears

and looking fantastic!
Old 03-28-2017, 03:42 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

Wow! That looks about ready to launch!

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959

Tags
boat building, boat shop, workbench