talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2016, 02:18 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears
Default Re: Boat Shop Bench- New Boat Project

Loving this thread.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-21-2016, 02:00 AM

From 9/26/16-
We got the oval coaming laminated yesterday. Went fairly well, but my laminates were a little thinner than desirable. I should have backed the assembly up with 3/8" wacky wood, or kerf board, but I didn't have it to hand, so we went with it. Two of us managed the layup, and we used every small clamp in the shop (because of the limber layup).

The schedule was 4 layers of 1/8" occume in the center, and 2 layers of 1/16" red oak veneer on both sides of that. This will be a painted coaming. The veneer was nice and rough, so I didn't tooth it before laminating. We had a taped off backer of poplar veneer front and back.

The ready to glue stack.

Like I said, every small clamp.

Carol and I did the glue up.

An end view of the layup.

We'll take it out of the clamps later in the week. The straight parts will likely be red oak as well. I don't worry too much about rot in this airy location. I got a good deal on the 1/16" veneer. might could have used 1/8" but wasn't sure if it would make the bend.

Done now at any rate.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-22-2016, 02:26 PM

From 10/9/16-
I was away last weekend, but back now. We unclamped the coaming lamination, and it looks good. Today we are continuing on with the helm seat. Got a new portable Moeller 12 gal. tank which will live under the seat. More pics today.

The lamination came out pretty good and tight. We'll have to restrain the curve, then set it aside for a while until the deck is on.

Working on the seat as well.

Gluing in all the framing behind the ply parts. Foot rest at bottom.
Old 10-26-2016, 06:20 PM

We are in real time now, and up to date. To continue with the seat fabrication, we framed the corners with some spanish cedar scrap, and then milled up more vee groove paneling. I didn't have enough of the previously milled stock, so i cheated and ran the vee grooves on some meranti ply. I think now I would never go to the trouble of milling solid stock again, unless inside a cabin and bright finished.

Looks pretty good.

Here it is sitting in the boat with the gas tank inside. Like the console, the seat will bolt to a piece of 3/4" ply that is screwed down to the floors. The 1x4 sole boards will fill in around it. I wanted a solid ply ground for the seat.

More later...
Old 11-06-2016, 09:31 PM

We've been sanding and painting the hull interior the last couple of weeks. Well cured epoxy was sanded, and then 2 coats of System 3, 2 part primer. On the first coat, we cut in first, then rolled and tipped.

We sanded the first coat after letting it cure for a week. Couldn't get back to the shop to second coat before the next weekend, so sanding was necessary.

The second coat was rolled, tipped, and cut in all at once which was way faster.

You can see all seats and other bits in the left hand corner. Those were all done as well.

I also made up some color sample boards for the interior and deck. These are Kirby paints. The interior hull is to be "Sand", though it is a little too yellow for my taste. I may add white and black to lighten and gray it out.

Top left is straight white. Outside hull, and inside console, seat frame, and bulkheads (all the vee groove stuff). Top right is Sand. It looks grayer here, but they weren't dry yet. Looks yellow in the boat. Bottom left is "Taupe". Seat tops, coaming, and toe rails, plus bitt. Bottom right is "Colonial Cream" for the decks. I think I will make the inside hull bottom a darker and grayer version of the Sand color. I bought some beautiful clear cypress for floor boards, which will be oiled. Pics later.
Old 11-10-2016, 01:29 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

Looks great, Cricket!

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 12-03-2016, 02:04 PM

I haven't posted anything lately, cause all the pics tend to look the same while painting. But we did finish the interior topsides paint, and need only to run some wiring for lights, etc. before decking. the biggest news is that we have chosen a motor, gotten the budget for it, and picked a vendor. We are going with a Suzuki DF60, and Moriches Boat and Motor in East Moriches. A bit of a hump to get to, but Conrad is the guy I want doing the installation. For the same price quoted for a Honda 60, we get a Baystar hydraulic steering unit, installed. We get a fuel/water separator and water pressure gauge, stainless prop, full commissioning (to be expected of any install). And, he will come out to our dock when we are in service and go over all the operation and maintenance procedures with our operators (several people will be driving this boat). I'm pushing to get the install done in April. We have a lot left to do!

Some pics.

Holes for cable routing to motor.

Howie painting underneath the splash well.

We decided to paint the interior bottom a darker color, because the lighter color shows dirt so bad. For the most part the bilge is covered with floor boards, but a portion up fwd will get walked on. Might get started on that this weekend. We are also completing some more cabinetry like seat back and hatch to forepeak. We've started the floorboard layout as well. I bought some beautiful cypress for that, which I think we will oil. We can paint it in a couple years if the maintenance gets tiresome. I think we'll use "boat soup", which is a mix of pine tar, linseed oil, turps, and japan drier.

Making some patterns to help with the layout.

More later....
Old 12-03-2016, 04:50 PM

Regards,

Rob
Old 12-03-2016, 09:28 PM

Fantastic work as usual, love your updates and frankly all we hear around here are the "crickets!"
Old 12-04-2016, 04:49 PM

Thanks gents,

First coat of new color on the bilge.

Not too dark, and hopefully a nice look with oiled floorboards.

I can't squeeze into the bow, and saw a bare spot up under the breasthook. Clamped a brush to a stick to reach it.

Meanwhile, we are getting ready for some cold weather.

Tags
boat building, boat shop, workbench