talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2016, 03:25 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York
Default Re: Boat Shop Bench- New Boat Project

Fascinating thread!

About the fuel fill issues, always obey Murphy's law.

"If I have to, I'll move gear and crew around to trim." Wouldn't that solve the problem of constant rise in the fuel fill line? A boat in motion would move that fuel out of a low spot anyway?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-15-2016, 10:27 PM

Thanks Michael,
True, you could move crew weight around to dump any static fuel out of the hose, but I heard a lot about "blowback", where trapped air in a less than desirable run causes the fuel to back up while filling. This was a quote from another powerboat builder at the WB. "The hose must drain freely with you standing on the fill side working the gas pump. If not it will spit and back flow so much as to be unfillable. I made this mistake on my newest build." So I decided to just change the design and cut my losses. As we go forward, you'll see how we arrived at our final solution.

From 8/16/16-
We are in the dog days for sure. It has been tough putting in 40 hours at work and expecting to get 20 more in the boat shop when it's this hot. Most of the regular crew would rather be out on the water, and I ended up taking most of last weekend off myself. Even went to the beach, and not in a boat but in an air conditioned car.

At any rate, we have finished the vertical siding on the bulkheads and console. We made an all out effort to finish up all the interior fillets, and epoxified the whole interior, with two coats of S3 laminating resin. We just made it with the last of the slow hardener in temps approaching 100 deg. inside the shop.

1st coat.

We were dripping pools of sweat into the wet epoxy coat.

and 2nd coat.

More later...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-16-2016, 02:00 AM

From 8/23/16-

We started making the oval deck beams last weekend. started with a plywood pattern for each side, fitted to the carlin and bulkhead, and the curve marked out with a batten. Mostly by eye. The port side was cut, and the curve was transferred to the stbd. side after fitting that pattern to the boat.

Port side pattern.

There was too much cross grain to get these beams from a straight piece. I could have used a bent lamination with a filler, or double thick ply (running short of meranti scraps), but decided to make these up from two layers of straight stuff, with joints butted and the second layer spanning the joints underneath. Pretty quick, and strong enough for a piece that will be glued to the carlin and bulkhead.

The first layer. Port and stbd. beams.

And the second layer. Remember not to bury the screws in the first layer! that's what the notches are for.

We'll cut the beams out and install them next weekend.
Old 10-17-2016, 07:58 PM

From 8/29/16-
To continue the oval deck beam thread... Last week we made patterns and glued up the stock. This week we cut out the beams, fitted them, and glued them in. Went well. The beams are flat, so they are set a little higher than the carlins and bulkhead that they join so that we can plane in the deck crown. Beams are 1-1/2" thick, to finish maybe 1-1/4' at the deck C/L.

We cut the outside first, and fitted this to the hull before cutting the inside curve.

Bevels were cut on the bandsaw where we could cut right side up, but we planed them where we couldn't.

Only after fitting did we cut the inside curve from the patterns.

Howie is tuning the bevel on the bench. Took a little back and forth to get right.

A couple of temp screws hold the beams in alignment so we can get the clamps on.

And here we are.

More later. Thanks for looking.
Old 10-18-2016, 04:59 AM

Great build. I need to quit brewing and get back to woodworking. I love woken boats. My dream boat is a
42' sailing catamaran.
Old 10-18-2016, 01:19 PM

Thanks Cricket for letting us enjoy your build.
I fine it very interesting.
Rick
Old 10-18-2016, 06:28 PM

Thanks for the comments!
From 9/16/16-
Some pics from last week before heading out to the shop. We faired the oval deck beam to the deck crown and touched up the forward beams, breasthook, and sheer.

On my decked boats, I like to fit a fore and aft beam that I call (for lack of a better word) a “king plank”. I can get a pair of 8’ long decks from 1 sheet of ply, with a seam on the centerline. This puts the first butt further aft, and makes it easier to fit the plywood to the compound curvature of the deck. Some people crown the forward beams to a straight line from coaming to stem, but I have always let the deck centerline follow the sheer curve in profile. It has worked well for me previously, so I hope it does here too.

We notched the king plank into the deck beams with a router and jig, then fit the plank to the slight sprung curve.

We’ll hold off gluing the plank in, until we have laminated the bent coaming. This we’ll do right on the boat, and we want all the room we can get for clamps. If I can scrounge up some suitable material for the coaming today, we’ll laminate the coaming this weekend.

More later…
Old 10-18-2016, 07:40 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

What is that fine looking wood used for the deck beams?
Old 10-19-2016, 11:49 AM

The foredeck beams are heart pine leftover from a job. Oval beams are just white pine.
Old 10-19-2016, 06:44 PM

From 9/23/16-
We’ve been fooling around with some mockups for seating in the stern, also looking for a new place to stash the fuel tank, after realizing the console location would not work. First we set up side benches in cardboard.

Didn’t like that as it ruins the aft section for stowage, and creates a tunnel to the splash well. Better was a seat across the stern cleated to the aft bulkhead.

That was okay, except it made it hard to get down to where the bilge pumps will be, and to sponge out the bilge. Plus, the fuel was nearly all the way aft, which adds weight in the wrong place.

For some reason I always thought that I did not want a helm seat, but I began to realize that it made a better place for the fuel (like a Montauk 17), and why not be able to stand or sit? So we set up some stools and crates and whatnot, to get the right height and placement.

A height of 24” off the deck (before cushion) seems to feel right. When sitting just on the edge of the seat, your feet are flat on the deck. Sitting all the way up on the seat, your heels rest on a rung about 7.5” above the deck. So we made a particle board mockup with seat back and installed that.

Didn’t like the looks of the seat back, and the depth of the whole thing was more than needed, so we cut the back right off it, and pitched the aft face forward, to kind of mimic the slope of the console seat back. This looked right. So now it’s on to the real thing.

One more before the back was cut off

We are building the real seat from 1/2" MDO ply, with interior framing of sipo (leftovers). These next pics are as far as I have gotten, but we will add vertical corner posts on the outside, and more vee groove bead board on just the sides. The gas tank slides in from aft, and there is a shelf above that with access openings from the front and back. The trick is to get enough structure to keep it from racking,but still keep it light. We'll bolt it down to a plywood deck, like we did with the console. Then the 1x4 deck planking will run around and past the plywood deck.

Framing and shelf in place.

Making the front and back access panels.

The short blocking below is for the foot rail. We kept it off the deck for heel clearance while standing. The seat is about 19" aft of the console, and feels pretty good.

We will be laminating the oval coaming this weekend as well. Plus I've been out motor shopping. More on that later.
Stay tuned...

Tags
boat building, boat shop, workbench