talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2015, 03:52 AM

Default Pair of night stands

I had made a dresser and mirror for my daughter a few years back and she wanted a pair of night stands.

These were made from cherry with a walnut General Finishes gel stain and then sprayed with lacquer.

The first two photos show making a slight radius on the bottoms of the aprons - sides and back. The pattern was then used to pattern route the curve on my CMS table.

Most of the joinery was dominos except the drawers were hand cut dovetails and the bottom shelf was mortise and tenon using the MFS templates and a small Dremel in a Microfence router base. I wiped the tables down with mineral spirits to make sure there were no glue blotches before applying the gel stain and then getting the lacquer finish on them.

I have done the spraying in the past but had a friend do it this time because I don't really like dealing with lacquer without plenty of ventilation and a proper spray booth, which I can't easily do without a major rework of the garage.

Questions or feedback welcome. I have a sketchup file for anyone interested. Just PM me.

neil
Attached Thumbnails
pair-night-stands-img_0733.jpg   pair-night-stands-img_0734.jpg   pair-night-stands-img_0740.jpg   pair-night-stands-img_0741.jpg   pair-night-stands-img_0742.jpg  

pair-night-stands-img_0745.jpg   pair-night-stands-img_0746.jpg   pair-night-stands-img_0748.jpg   pair-night-stands-img_0751.jpg   pair-night-stands-img_0995.jpg  

Last edited by neilc; 07-28-2015 at 03:57 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-28-2015, 04:23 AM

Great design and execution, Neil! I love the legs and would like to see more on how you made them. You the man!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-28-2015, 05:08 AM

Default Re: Pair of night stands

Great work, Neil!

I was going to ask you to detail your spraying process, but then read that you passes that chore off to a friend. I have very poor spray skills. I can manage with my meager spray gun, but I am not comfortable doing it.

I also noticed that your shop was spic-and-span clean. Must have something to do with using Festool gear??

Thanks for sharing your work and the great photos as well.
Old 07-28-2015, 05:19 AM

Those are beautiful. I really like the shoulders on the leg tops. Never in a million years would I have used the walnut stain, but that color is a knockout!
Old 07-28-2015, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator

I agree about the legs - that little shoulder makes such a difference. How did you do the edge of the table top? Router table or hand planes?

Beautiful tables! Really nice work.
Old 07-28-2015, 07:28 PM

Thanks for the comments, guys.

Jim - attached is a step by step Sketchup drawing showing how I did the legs.

You might need to download the image and open it separately to read the text more clearly.

I did not show the Domino mortises in the legs, but you have to do those BEFORE you do any of the face tapers or cuts for proper registration.

The legs do require what is a bearing guided hinge bit to cut the face flush and clean up the bandsaw marks in step 4 of the drawing.

The bit I used is herehere on Amazon.

Peter - the chamfers on the legs were done with a BCTW HP-6 plane with the angle skids. The profile on the edges of the top and drawer front were done with two different router bits.
- A bearing guided round over router bit
- a cove bit that was guided with a fence at the top of the round over
- adhesive sandpaper on a dowel to smooth out the cove by hand

Phillip - I have an HVLP sprayer which does a great job of spraying lacquer, but it's a big commitment to lay out the drop cloths, assemble the plastic sheeting for a spray booth, deal with the fume evacuation, etc. And when i have a friend that does it all day long, I decided not to hassle with it. The shop is kept clean with both a central Oneida dust collector and a Festool CT26 with boom arm.

Thanks for the comments. Let me know if the steps don't quite make sense!

neil
Attached Thumbnails
pair-night-stands-leg-steps.jpg  

Last edited by neilc; 07-28-2015 at 07:51 PM.
Old 07-28-2015, 07:48 PM

Great work Neil.

Did you put stain on the drawer fronts before drawer assembly, or did you mask the drawer sides?

Charles
Old 07-28-2015, 10:46 PM

Beautiful work; I really love the color of that finish.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesWilson View Post
Great work Neil.

Did you put stain on the drawer fronts before drawer assembly, or did you mask the drawer sides?

Charles
Charles

The drawer fronts were stained and then sprayed with the lacquer finish before they were then glued up. Far easier than trying to mask them off!

neil
Old 07-29-2015, 01:20 AM

Here's some photos of the dresser and mirror I had done a few years ago. I finished these with the same walnut wiping gel and a lacquer spray.

I was surprised the colors matched as well as they did when I delivered the night stands!

Peter - you can see the detail on the base in one of these photos, as that will give you an idea of the same treatment I did on the tops of the night stands.

The 'installed' photos show how the cherry darkened under the walnut finish to further even out the color.

Neil
Attached Thumbnails
pair-night-stands-img_1262.jpg   pair-night-stands-img_1271.jpg   pair-night-stands-img_1295.jpg   pair-night-stands-img_1376.jpg   pair-night-stands-img_1377.jpg  

pair-night-stands-img_1406.jpg   pair-night-stands-img_1460.jpg  

Last edited by neilc; 07-30-2015 at 12:19 AM.