talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2015, 06:36 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Pair of night stands

That's seriously elegant, Neil. And that's a lot of detailing on the edges - kudos to you for not sanding the details away!
Old 07-30-2015, 04:19 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

Great suite of furniture, Neil! The Amana Furniture Factory could not do better.

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-31-2015, 12:44 PM

Fantastic work! I appreciate the sketchup .jpg, it makes sense now. What's the purpose of the blue painter's tape over the domino mortises? I'm currently working on a shaker night stand in cherry. I find that although it's much faster to mortise with the domino, the glue up is way more stressful because you have to glue both sides of the floating tenon (domino) rather than just one side as with a traditional mortise and tenon.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-31-2015, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimKirkpatrick View Post
Fantastic work! I appreciate the sketchup .jpg, it makes sense now. What's the purpose of the blue painter's tape over the domino mortises? I'm currently working on a shaker night stand in cherry. I find that although it's much faster to mortise with the domino, the glue up is way more stressful because you have to glue both sides of the floating tenon (domino) rather than just one side as with a traditional mortise and tenon.

I use the blue painters tape so that I make NO mistakes on where the mortises go. I worked to match the grain on the legs and once I had it figured out, I used painters tape to clearly mark the leg faces that needed mortises. I do this a lot so it's really apparent. Believe me I've done the wrong faces without being very explicit!

I agree with you on the dominos and glue up. They do cause you a bit more stress. After taking a course from Garrett Hack this summer, I came away realizing just how little glue you need on a mortise and tenon joint. His goal in the glue ups was to have no glue squeeze out.

One thing I'm considering is gluing up with dominos on fine joinery in two steps. Cut the mortises and dry assemble. I always use the narrow alignment unless I need to plan on wood movement. You could then glue in the mortise in one side and let it dry and then assemble the other side.

BTW, I have also used blue tape on glue ups to simplify cleanup.

That table you are making looks very nice! I did one similar with two drawers just to change up the design a bit.

neil
Old 07-31-2015, 07:15 PM

I believe that having to add glue to both sides of a tenon is a very small price to pay vs the time and stock saved by using them. I was going to add that one end of the tenon could be glued first and then assembled normally, but Neil beat me to it.