talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2015, 04:03 AM

Default Miss Camille's Gate

Recently was commissioned to make a gate to replace one my clients were not too fond of, to put it mildly. They wanted the gate to look very old. Fine. I gathered up some very old wood, came up with a design and they signed off on it and I got to work.

Old, twisted wood is not a real joy to work with. My joinery was naturally, mortise and tenon. (I did not have my Domino 700 at the time, but it would have made this gate much, much easier to join.)

When done, the client was very happy. I was happy to be done with it.
Attached Thumbnails
miss-camilles-gate-original-finished-gate.jpg   miss-camilles-gate-painted-gate.jpg  

Last edited by patriot; 07-25-2015 at 04:05 AM. Reason: Add some commentary
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-25-2015, 06:30 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Miss Camille's Gate

Nice. Very idiosyncratic. Great paint color!
Old 07-25-2015, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

Very nice job, Phillip!

Is blue the only legal color for trim in NM? Having vacationed there several times, I noticed a trend....

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-25-2015, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
Nice. Very idiosyncratic. Great paint color!
Thanks for the thumbs-up, Peter!

I cannot take credit for the paint job. That was Miss Camille's fine work.
Old 07-25-2015, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderwino View Post
Very nice job, Phillip!

Is blue the only legal color for trim in NM? Having vacationed there several times, I noticed a trend....
I once had a shop in Old Mesilla and you had to have a permit before you painted ANY part of your house. And yes, the colors had to be approved before you began. I think they want to protect the old New Mexico pueblo-style look of the village and non-conformists are not welcomed or allowed. I was good with that and that very idea is what makes Santa Fe so special although Santa Fe has TOO MANY non-conformists IMO.

Thanks again.
Old 07-26-2015, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot View Post
I once had a shop in Old Mesilla and you had to have a permit before you painted ANY part of your house. And yes, the colors had to be approved before you began. I think they want to protect the old New Mexico pueblo-style look of the village and non-conformists are not welcomed or allowed. I was good with that and that very idea is what makes Santa Fe so special although Santa Fe has TOO MANY non-conformists IMO.

Thanks again.
Funny story about Santa Fe. The regimen that everything must be adobe was by design of the local Chamber of Commerce. And it wasn't their first idea. Their initial fiat was that the City Style should be that of Granada, with moorish features. The first implementation was the Scottish Rite Temple, that pink monstrosity on Paseo de Peralta. That caused so much commotion that they went to plan b which was the faux adobe "Pueblo Style."
Attached Thumbnails
miss-camilles-gate-228px-scotish_rites_temple-_santa_fe69.jpg  
Old 07-26-2015, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessecloud View Post
Funny story about Santa Fe. The regimen that everything must be adobe was by design of the local Chamber of Commerce. And it wasn't their first idea. Their initial fiat was that the City Style should be that of Granada, with moorish features. The first implementation was the Scottish Rite Temple, that pink monstrosity on Paseo de Peralta. That caused so much commotion that they went to plan b which was the faux adobe "Pueblo Style."
That building truly sticks out like a sore thumb. While living there I never saw anyone go in or out. I'm sure they did, but it's a very strange building considering where it is located. Actually, that particular building may stick out anywhere. While growing up there I always heard weird stories about it, but who knows?

Yesterday I was glancing over my copy of 'New Mexico Furniture 1600-1940' by Taylor and Bokides and they noted that John Gaw Meem was one of those responsible for setting Santa Fe on its pueblo style architecture journey. He arrived in Santa Fe in the 1920's and built the La Fonda hotel. He went on to design several churches in the area as well.
Old 07-29-2015, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

The Scottish Rite Masons normally meet once a month in most locations. Our Temple has two "reunions" each year for ceremonies.

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959