talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2015, 01:52 AM

Default Walnut-Crotch Coffee table

I made this coffee table a few years back and it was a ton of work. The top can be flipped over as the base is not attached. The base pivots on a brass pin. Butterfly keys adorn both sides of the walnut crotch slab.

The wood for the butterfly keys comes from the desert close to where I currently live.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
walnut-crotch-coffe-table-hand-carved-walnut-coffee-table-base.jpg   walnut-crotch-coffe-table-walnut-crotch-coffe-table-top.jpg  

Last edited by patriot; 07-25-2015 at 04:18 AM. Reason: correct some spelling
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-25-2015, 04:37 AM

Default Re: Walnut-crotch Coffe table

Awesome! Whats the finish? It really brought out the best in the wood. Well done!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-25-2015, 06:29 AM
Super Moderator

Whoa! Stunning!

Are those turned vessels yours too?
Old 07-25-2015, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

What a beauty! I'm guessing most of the work was hand-planing the slab flat. Which planes did you use?

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 07-25-2015, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessecloud View Post
Awesome! Whats the finish? It really brought out the best in the wood. Well done!!
Thanks for your kind words, Jesse.

The finish used was Tried & True Varnish Oil. I hand rubbed it in and it developed a very nice patina as you noted. My goal was to protect it from water marks and T&T varnish oil served the purpose quite well. T&T is supposedly based on a formula used to protect horse drawn carriages of old. It works as advertised.

Thanks again.
Old 07-25-2015, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
Whoa! Stunning!

Are those turned vessels yours too?
Thanks, Peter!

No, the vessels are not mine. I am not a turner. Turning does not turn me on. Pun intended!
Old 07-25-2015, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderwino View Post
What a beauty! I'm guessing most of the work was hand-planing the slab flat. Which planes did you use?
Thanks for your kind words.

Amen! You hit the nail on the head with your hand-planing comment. I had to make a 20-inch maple plane with a 2-inch iron just to flatten it. The grain was obviously tricky and soon humbled me, but I did manage to get it flat. For this rookie it was not an easy task.

If interested, here is a link to my hand-plane page on my as-yet-unfinished website.

Once I had it flat then I was able to add the butterfly keys to halt the checks as seen below.

This project taught me a lot about my woodworking skills or-the-lack-thereof. Thanks again.
Attached Thumbnails
walnut-crotch-coffe-table-butterfly-keys_01.jpg   walnut-crotch-coffe-table-butterfly-keys_03.jpg  
Old 07-25-2015, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator

Very sexy butterflies.

When I was flattening a slab, I did the first side using a scrub plane to get it fairly flat, and the second side using my router in an MDF frame. It took about a million passes, and made huge piles of shavings, but it worked!
Old 07-25-2015, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
Very sexy butterflies.

When I was flattening a slab, I did the first side using a scrub plane to get it fairly flat, and the second side using my router in an MDF frame. It took about a million passes, and made huge piles of shavings, but it worked!
Ah, I'm much to old for all that Rube Goldberg stuff. I prefer to just do it my hand and waste a lot of time.