talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2015, 10:15 PM

Default Salt Cedar Sliding Doors

I am working on the mate to the door shown below. These are hanging doors for our pantry.

The first door is the bare poplar shell and the second is the finished door. The door is stained in cherry to match our kitchen cabinets.

I have to add that I have always favored floating tenons. I made a mortise rig many years back that does and excellent job of making mortises. However, it is slow to set up - each mortise has to be aligned perfectly and secondly my router makes a mess of my shop because I have to remove the vac shroud otherwise I would not be able to see my scribe marks during set up. That said, the Domino has absolutely changed all of that. I still insist on 3-inch wide tenon - also done with the Domino, but the first door probably took two days to mortise - there are 28 mortises altogether. The Domino did this job in less than two hours!!!

And as you may already have guessed, the lack of the vac shroud meant I made a HUGE mess in my shop. The Domino eliminated that chore as well. Festool's rock!!

This is not a fun project, but its either do it or eat with the dog. While Bella will not bite me I just cannot get the hang of eating out of her bowl while she stares at me. Follow what I mean?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
salt-cedar-sliding-doors-stain-removed-door.jpg   salt-cedar-sliding-doors-salt-cedar-pantry-door1-hung.jpg  

Last edited by patriot; 07-22-2015 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Make a correction
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-23-2015, 01:55 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Salt Cedar Sliding Doors

Beautiful job, Phillip! The door looks amazing. I love the panels. Nice work!
Old 07-23-2015, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
Beautiful job, Phillip! The door looks amazing. I love the panels. Nice work!
Thanks for your kind words.

The real downside to this project is gathering the salt cedar. Not fun at all, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.
Old 07-23-2015, 04:58 AM

Very nice. I have tried this and found it very tedious, in large part from trying to find salt cedar twigs of similar width.

Do you glue your salt cedar into the grooves or leave them loose?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-23-2015, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

Salt Cedar is considered a noxious, invasive weed in many areas. Do you need any special permission to gather it in NM?

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 07-23-2015, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessecloud View Post
Very nice. I have tried this and found it very tedious, in large part from trying to find salt cedar twigs of similar width.

Do you glue your salt cedar into the grooves or leave them loose?
Thanks!

These are hanging doors and cannot be thicker than 1-3/8 inches. That said, there cannot be any grooves to support the salt cedar sticks, so they are bonded to rabbets that surrounds each panel with hot glue.

Tedious does not really begin to describe this door style. Collecting the salt cedar in the correct lengths and thicknesses is a momumental pain in the glut. Then trimming and fitting them in each panel just doubles the pain. And because I am installing the sticks from the back side, I can never be certain of how they actually look on the business side. If these were not for my wife, I am not sure if I would be making them.

A visitor to my shop recently asked what those sticks were in that trash can? (He was referring to a tall slim cylindrical trash can of about 12-inch diameter.) I remarked that the contents were about a mile and a half of salt cedar.

Take care.
Old 07-23-2015, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderwino View Post
Salt Cedar is considered a noxious, invasive weed in many areas. Do you need any special permission to gather it in NM?
You do not need to have any special permission. You must, however, be certified and wear the approved uniform.

Last edited by patriot; 07-23-2015 at 02:47 PM.
Old 07-26-2015, 10:44 PM

Continuing ...

Here is a shot of the second door after receiving the blotch control prepping solution I use. What I have done is sand it down lightly (120x Abranet) to remove all of my chicken scratch (scribe marks). I then use my air compressor to blow out all of the fine particles embedded in the grain.

My next step is to tape all of my rabbet's - where the salt cedar will rest. The stain makes the wood not accept the hot glue as well as the bare wood does. Hear ye!! This is the voice of experience speaking to you.

Next up is to apply the blotch control solution. Long story short: You must use some undercoat on wood before you apply the stain if you want the stain to go on evenly. IOW's, without the blotch control, the softwood will absorb more stain than the hardwood and the result is a blotchy mess. Use of a good blotch control solution results in the stain going on very evenly.

I was introduced to the blotch control seen in the second photo by the gentleman who developed it. Bottom line: It is water-based, has no ordor and it just plain works!

After the door is allowed to dry, it is feather sanded to remove the burr raised by the solution. I use 600x and this takes about five minutes to do. The door is flipped and the process is repeated. I apply three coats on each side. Tomorrow I will spray on the water-based stain. I use General Finishes stain.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
salt-cedar-sliding-doors-salt-cedar-door-prepping.jpg   salt-cedar-sliding-doors-charless-prep-solution.jpg  
Old 07-26-2015, 11:27 PM

I see you use Charles Neil's blotch control. Have you taken one of his classes?
Old 07-26-2015, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessecloud View Post
I see you use Charles Neil's blotch control. Have you taken one of his classes?
No, sir, I have not. But I have seen quite a few of his video tutorials. Here is a link to some of them.

And here is The Man himself.

Charles was very, very kind and helpful to me. He took a look at a photo of our cherry cabinets and gave me the recipe for mixing the Gen. Finishes stains to match perfectly. He knows his stuff.

I cannot recommend his blotch control high enough.