talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2015, 02:27 AM

Default Blackwood and Blackbutt table

Hi all,

Due to circumstances beyond my control, I must construct a desk/table to hold my Computer and it's ancillary bibs and bobs.

Here, then is the story of the table construction.

I decided to use Blackbutt and Tasmanian Blackwood (quite nicely figured), I had the Blackwood but needed Blackbutt. I needed 150 x 25mm and 100 x 38mm Blackbutt, which I bought for the princely sum of $15/lm and $20.00/lm respectively.

I am starting with the top, for no particular reason other than this will limit the size of the top.

Fig 1 shows the Blackbutt after dressing.

Fig 2 shows the frame for the top. You can see some nice figure in the Blackbutt.

Fig 3 shows the Blackwood (also nicely figured) sitting in the frame.

Next post will show the centre panels of Blackwood mounted in the frame and then glue up.

Regards,

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
blackwood-blackbutt-table-1.jpg   blackwood-blackbutt-table-2.jpg   blackwood-blackbutt-table-3.jpg  
Old 07-06-2015, 06:13 PM

Default Re: Blackwood and Blackbutt table

We look forward to the progression of your project. What is your convention for lumber volume? Is lm a reference to linear metres? What is the relation to board feet that we use here?

As you know, we tried to convert to the metric system, but it was too hard. I wish we had made the switch. Whenever I have a complicated project I switch to metric and it is always much simpler.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-08-2015, 05:26 AM

Hey Rob!
How's that table coming on?
I'm interested to see how You mount the panel into the frame.
Cheers!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-09-2015, 07:37 AM

Now the timbers have been cut to the right length, some squaring up is necessary. To square timbers for construction, I use a Plunge saw and Rail system. I align the rail along one side of the timber, then I guestimate the points where the saw will enter and leave the cut. Now I have a fairly even line to cut along

Next I saw along the edge of the rail, which gives you a clean straight edge. This is my reference face. By using the table saw with this edge against the fence, assuming the fence is square, then so is the face the table saw cuts.And they should be parallel

Fig #1 shows the saw sitting on the rail which is sitting on the timber.
Fig #2 shows the 4 sides of the frame, mitred and squared.

To join the top panels together, I use a Domino jointer, which is essentially a hole digger. So dowels could be used instead if a dowel hole digger (drill bit) is used. I use 5mm dominoes so the panels look like those in Fig. #3
Fig #3 also shows how the panels are joined together, using the dominoes primarily for making and keeping the panels straight, while the glue is used to cement the joints.
Finally, the panels and the frame are joined together, again using dominoes to hold the panels and frame flat and the four corners are glued with Epoxy glue. I used epoxy because the Blackbutt didn't seem to like the Titebond II. FIg. #4
Finish is burnished Tung Oil. I'll add info about this later in the thread.

If you would like further photos, let me know what you want and I'll post them for you if I can. Same applies to my build method.

Regards,

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
blackwood-blackbutt-table-4.jpg   blackwood-blackbutt-table-16.jpg   blackwood-blackbutt-table-7.jpg   blackwood-blackbutt-table-12.jpg  

Last edited by Ausrob; 07-09-2015 at 07:57 PM.