talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2015, 04:35 PM

Default Re: Tabletop's second chance

Purdy!!! Is there any chance of a build thread?

Regards,

Rob
Old 07-01-2015, 09:47 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

Back to when it had a tiny crack - have you ever used shellac sticks or hard wax to fill tiny imperfections? If you match the color just right, the repairs are invisible.

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-02-2015, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausrob View Post
Purdy!!! Is there any chance of a build thread?

Regards,

Rob
Hey Rob!
I made the base yesterday. I snapped a couple of photos with my phone. So I reckon we'll have a kinda rough build thread.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-02-2015, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderwino View Post
Back to when it had a tiny crack - have you ever used shellac sticks or hard wax to fill tiny imperfections? If you match the color just right, the repairs are invisible.
Hey Wino!
I have used wax sticks in the past for filling imperfections, and they work pretty good. I've never used the shellac type.
The problem with this top was the split/crack started from the edge, and in my experience with these they need a dovetail key to stop further splitting.
Some clients don't mind seeing keyed tops, especially if it's a slab. That's almost a given and part of the slab look. It's case by case with regular glued up tops, and I didn't think this particular client would want to see a keyed split in their top. Cutting the split out made the top under the required length, so in the end I just made another top and saved the headache with the client
Old 07-02-2015, 02:13 AM

Just dug up a photo I took of the split/crack. I thought I took one, but wasn't sure.
Attached Thumbnails
tabletops-second-chance-image.jpg  
Old 07-02-2015, 02:19 AM

Not the best setting for a photo, but here's the clients table after the first coat was put on.
Attached Thumbnails
Old 07-02-2015, 03:10 AM

Right, onto the base.
I made a full scale drawing on a sheet of board to begin with. I prefer this method rather than sketch-up or another software.
The uprights are angled out. I trenched out the bottom rail on the tablesaw.
Attached Thumbnails
Old 07-02-2015, 03:21 AM

So what I've basically got is an angled Bridal joint, with a notch/trench out of the top for more stability. It was on my mind this design has the possibility of racking under load, without a top cross member. Nakashima's didn't have the top rail either.
The feet were a simple halved joint.
Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Okami; 07-02-2015 at 03:28 AM.
Old 07-02-2015, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator

Nice work, Okamisan! The joint is similar to the one I used on my Nakashima-like music stand:

They're impressively strong (and fun to cut!).

I like the gratuitous inclusion of the Bridge City planes in your last image. Are you enjoying them?
Old 07-03-2015, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
Nice work, Okamisan! The joint is similar to the one I used on my Nakashima-like music stand:

They're impressively strong (and fun to cut!).

I like the gratuitous inclusion of the Bridge City planes in your last image. Are you enjoying them?
Thank You, yes the Bridge City planes are very nice. The block plane is no doubt my most used plane
The smoother has a very solid,dominant feeling I haven't experienced with my other hand planes. Don't have to worry about them rusting also