talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2015, 12:01 AM

Default Splay leg side table

I spent a week at Marc Adams School of Woodworking in a hand tool course taught by Garrett Hack. He's an excellent teacher. Written a couple of books and is a frequent contributor to FWW. He said he travels and teaches about 90 days a year.

The class was all about hand tools - planes, spokeshaves, chisels, sharpening, etc. Mortise and tenons, tapers, scratch stock, beading, etc.

Sixteen of us started exploring designs for splay leg tables - some with drawers, various heights, sizes and degrees of leg splay. Legs were rough cut on the bandsaw after exploring grain, then planed on four sides to match a pattern we had made. Mortises were cut using a dado head and then completed with chisels. Tenons were cut with two parallel blades in the tablesaw and then shoulder cuts and finishing were done with tenon saws, planes and chisels.

Aprons and Tops were done entirely with handsaws and planes.

My table was QS Walnut with a maple cockbead. Dimensions were 12 x 18 x 26 high with arches on the aprons and table sides and ends.

All in all a terrific week. It's my third trip to MASW and they do a great job with the facilities, food, and instructors.

In the photos are a couple of work in process, and three of the table I made. There are also a couple of photos of the explorations by others in the class.

neil
Attached Thumbnails
splay-leg-side-table-img_1055.jpg   splay-leg-side-table-img_1056.jpg   splay-leg-side-table-img_1063.jpg   splay-leg-side-table-img_1064.jpg   splay-leg-side-table-img_1065.jpg  

splay-leg-side-table-img_1066.jpg   splay-leg-side-table-img_1067.jpg   splay-leg-side-table-img_1068.jpg  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-15-2015, 12:24 AM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears
Default Re: Splay leg side table

Neil,

Looks terrific. How are you going to finish it? Do you have a go to finish that you prefer?

Mike
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-15-2015, 04:21 AM

That looks like a great class, I hope to take some like that in the future.

I really like the subtle Maple Bead.
Old 06-15-2015, 04:23 AM

Mike -

I'll probably do a wiped shellac finish. Open to suggestions from the group here!

Thanks for the comments -

neil
Old 06-15-2015, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator

What a beautiful table, Neil. It really stands out among the others in its grace and proportion. I love the subtle curves you've put into it, and the maple cockbead (a word I'd never encountered before) is striking in its clean simplicity and balance. Tapering the table top from the underside gives it a real lightness that the others don't have. Wonderful job!

Have you ever tried the Maloof oil/poly finish from Rockler? I really like it for these kinds of pieces. It leaves the wood looking very real, while deepening the grain without being glossy.
Old 06-15-2015, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

Nice work, Neil! I've got to say, I like yours the best! The curve on the skirt is uplifting and combined with the thinned top lightens the whole piece. Although nicely done, some of the others are a little clunky looking next to yours.

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 06-15-2015, 04:32 PM

If you get a good beaver hair brush, you can brush shellac on, and then rub it out when fully dried. Of course, French Polish is hard to beat for fine furniture.

Charles
Old 06-16-2015, 01:31 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears

I was thinking shellac when I asked. Do you intend to use a grain filler?
Old 06-16-2015, 02:07 PM

Mike, I Probably won't fill the grain.

Poto, I have used Maloof finish and might try that. Good reminder.

I am debating doing a string inlay around the top to compliment the maple cockbead.

Thanks for all the comments!

Neil
Old 06-16-2015, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
What a beautiful table, Neil. It really stands out among the others in its grace and proportion. I love the subtle curves you've put into it, and the maple cockbead (a word I'd never encountered before) is striking in its clean simplicity and balance. Tapering the table top from the underside gives it a real lightness that the others don't have. Wonderful job!
Exactly what I wanted to say, but stated much more elegantly than I could have managed.