talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2015, 01:02 AM

Default Design Ideas to prevent TalkFestool Shutdown

It's been quiet lately, maybe we need to plan to shut down the forum again, that generated a lot of activity.

I have a Maloof-style rocker on my long term project list, and was thinking about design ideas for a small dining table and chairs out of walnut with some sculpting involved, haven't settled on a design yet.

Any ideas or similar projects you would like to share?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-06-2015, 03:49 AM

Default Re: Design Ideas to prevent TalkFestool Shutdown

My woodworking is on hold until we move in August. The last project was the Mantle for our new house, made from reclaimed Redwood taken from our kids swingset.
design-ideas-prevent-talkfestool-shutdown-ready-finish.jpg
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-06-2015, 05:24 AM
Administrator

Paul, do you have any inspiration type pictures for the rocker?
Old 06-06-2015, 08:58 AM

Hi all,

There are two things I want to say. First is that as it stands we have a large membership (according to the list) but virtually no regular communication on the forums. People need to realise that anything yu want to say, anything you encounter during your day to day wanderings, all this is grist for the mill. take the time to post this stuff and we'll start to see some traffic.

The other thing I wanted to say is that, when I said we should change the headings of the sub forums, i was suggesting that by talking about the way we would put a given project together. This is of interest to people both from a pure learning experience and from a theoretical perspective. So calling a forum "Making a kids bed from scrap maple and redwood" is open to questions, suggestions and feedback.

If people don't start raising the energy level her, we can say goodnight to the whole shootin' match. For me, I'm in another Universe and happy to submit warts and all builds for people to see.

Derek is doing his best to show how he reasons and uses his tools to achieve a result.
My methods and reasoning are strictly New World, but re no less valid than Derek's. Please people stop being concerned about your level of ability and post something. This isn't (Thank god) Sawmill Creek nor even FOG where clowns like CC lurk. Please use this forum for what it was designed for. Informal chatter about nothing in particular and occasionally related to woodwork.

Regards,

A slightly ruffled parrot!!
Old 06-06-2015, 04:55 PM
Administrator

I really appreciate the enthusiasm to keep the forum active, but just in case it hasn't been clearly communicated, the shutdown has been prevented, period. There's no proverbial axe about to fall unless there is some arbitrary post count met, that's no way to live. That's not to say I don't want to see things more active, but fear isn't what will accomplish that. Things like discussing a Lingerie chest, new tool offers, or design ideas for a Maloof style rocker (to name just a tiny few) is what will get it done.

Which brings me back to my earlier question, I'm curious if there's some inspiration photos for the rocker. I know my wife would enjoy having a rocker and I'd like to build one fitted to her someday but I have no idea where to begin so info on that in general could be useful probably not only to me.
Old 06-06-2015, 07:00 PM

Not fear, frustration. My apologies for the rant.
Old 06-07-2015, 03:16 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausrob View Post
Not fear, frustration. My apologies for the rant.
No need to apologize, I can understand a sense of frustration when things are much slower now than in the past. The good news is the shut down has been averted and we can focus attention back to tools and projects.
Old 06-07-2015, 07:51 PM

Rant? Sure I don’t even need a parrot.
The contributions on here suck.
Or should I clarify those who don’t contribute.
I ranted last year. No parrot then either. (humor)
Gotta say the other Festool forum suffers too.
It’s a said fact that the only time some festoolers “take time” to hop on the forum is to whine and cry about a missing 5mm nut or washer from their new $800 tool.
They need to man-up develop a pair and riverdance their retired asses down to the local Ace Hardwae and buy one. Or the Hillman bins at Lowes.
Seriously, why annoy people on a forum, go back to your Festool Dealer and cry there. See the look on their face when you bitch about a loose nut.
Most of us has had a shop for 30 years ; therefore s/h 5mm nuts on hand?
For the record river dancing and Ace Hardware and Hillman bins is an American thing. Google it.
Back to not contributing…
You know what else chaps my ass?
There is a For Sale ad in the classifieds.
The guy has 2 posts. Just 2. Two. 6 years 2 posts. 2 includes trying to sell his shit.
How in the sam hell, google that, can you be a member for 6 years and never “take time” to contribute?
You benefit from the hard work of a handful but wont “take time” yourself and reciprocate.
But all of a sudden you need to sell your shit (which you never “took time” to share or contribute) and want to use this forum?
It does prove one thing. That they can actually post.
Attached Thumbnails
design-ideas-prevent-talkfestool-shutdown-finished-recip-saws.jpg   design-ideas-prevent-talkfestool-shutdown-_fsc9877.jpg   design-ideas-prevent-talkfestool-shutdown-_fsc9878.jpg  
Old 06-07-2015, 10:51 PM
Super Moderator

Excellent rant, Sign Guy! Your parrot is in the mail.

P.S. It's "Sam Hill", not "Sam Hell". Look it up.
Old 06-08-2015, 03:36 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

That kit looks like something NASA would take a year in committee & planning to configure at a cost of $324,567. Nice work! I need to get organized like that.

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959