talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2015, 05:08 AM

Default Re: Design Ideas to prevent TalkFestool Shutdown

appreciated.
You will. Just after you impose the sell-my crap-I-don't-contribute fee.
Unlimited cheap wine for the Forum God meetings.
meant with humor.
what few don't see there is that the 14.4v el cheapo Firestorm accepts the same battery as my 14.4 DeWalt system. The original style.
I was using that to cut iron on the road.
Take along multiple 14.4v batteries and cut all night. or drill holes.
That was case #52.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-08-2015, 06:01 PM

I appreciate that the forum has been saved from the axe, PaulG, I just wanted to help the energy level along a bit by starting a conversation.

Rob - always great to hear from you down under, your insights and projects are always interesting. Those of us with no talent appreciate the willingness of you experts to provide useful suggestions for our projects. A good finishing method tip from someone with a wealth of experience is a valuable thing.

I agree with the rants on people not contributing enough to the forum, so in that vein, this was my attempt to generate some project discussion.

For my project idea, I had in mind the Maloof-style rocker methods from Charles Brock, and thought to maybe simplify that into some dining chairs, with some design continuity over to the table itself. That is as far as I got, no drawings or examples yet, just looking for more general ideas. I have Charles Brock's DVD and have seen his website's pictures of a highback dining chair, that looks great, but I think I am going for a simpler design, that would look good in a small space. I only have limited experience carving chair seats but it was fun, less work and lower level of complication than I anticipated. However, that only involved simple domino joinery for children's chairs, nothing like what Charles Brock does. His work is beautiful.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-09-2015, 03:48 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
For my project idea, I had in mind the Maloof-style rocker methods from Charles Brock, and thought to maybe simplify that into some dining chairs, with some design continuity over to the table itself. That is as far as I got, no drawings or examples yet, just looking for more general ideas. I have Charles Brock's DVD and have seen his website's pictures of a highback dining chair, that looks great, but I think I am going for a simpler design, that would look good in a small space. I only have limited experience carving chair seats but it was fun, less work and lower level of complication than I anticipated. However, that only involved simple domino joinery for children's chairs, nothing like what Charles Brock does. His work is beautiful.
Yea, his work is amazing Charles Brock Chairmaker

Old 06-10-2015, 01:06 AM

I just came across a new release DVD on curved furniture from Popular Woodworking
Design & Techniques for Building Curvy Furniture (DVD) | ShopWoodworking
Has anyone seen it and liked it?
Old 06-10-2015, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator

I saw that advertised (gorgeous chair on the cover!), but haven't actually seen the video. It looks like a really good value - I should get it! (Maybe I can persuade my girls to give it to me for father's day...)
Old 07-08-2015, 06:19 AM

Here's a thread of a maloof-style small table I made several years ago
Making a small Table
Old 07-08-2015, 06:22 AM

Here's another maloof-style table I made back in 2008.
I still have it sitting in my house.
Mr Maloof style Pedestal base, Glass Top
Old 07-09-2015, 01:49 AM

Thanks Okami, I am speechless (almost) - beautiful work, very inspiring. (Although the internet gremlins stole the pictures from the small table thread). I think I would like to try my hand and a Maloof style rocker to get some experience, and then try a dining table and low back chairs using some of those design aesthetics.
Old 07-09-2015, 02:45 AM

Ah, just realised the small table thread was one that was linked to my photo album. Sorry about that.
I haven't attempted a Maloof style rocker, but looks like a great project! Lots to learn and very interesting. If you use one of the plans that are available these days, with templates, you'll have fun for sure!
I hope you take the time to document it here, I'm sure you'll have many of us interested in the build