talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2015, 12:20 PM

Default Blackwood and Huon Pine Storage Box

This box is 600mm long x 300mm wide and 200mm high. There are two removable trays made from some old Blackwood showing beautiful fiddle back feature. The box itself is made from some of the nicest figured Blackwood I've seen for a while. The lid is my last piece of some Birdseye Huon Pine, bookmatched and finished with oil. As is the rest of the box. It is a gift for my wife, just to show I care.

It's worth knowing that you cannot fell Huon Pine trees now. About 1900 the timber was used extensively for boat building as well as other work. Thing about Huon Pine is that it grows very slowly. The trees they were felling in 1900 were a minimum of 500 years old with some over 1000 years of age. Huon now is collected under licence from log jams in the rivers which were used to float the timber down to the bays where the building was done. So the lid on this box is somewhere around 500+ years old. I only use Huon in very special projects, which, obviously this was.

Regards,

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
blackwood-huon-pine-storage-box-1.jpg   blackwood-huon-pine-storage-box-2.jpg   blackwood-huon-pine-storage-box-3.jpg   blackwood-huon-pine-storage-box-4.jpg   blackwood-huon-pine-storage-box-5.jpg  

blackwood-huon-pine-storage-box-6.jpg  
Old 04-10-2015, 01:10 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears
Default Re: Blackwood and Huon Pine Storage Box

Nicely done, as always. I love that pine. Of course now that's it's not available I love it even more.....

Why do we always fall in love with stuff we can't have?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-10-2015, 03:09 PM
Administrator

Beautiful wood. Was the project sized for a particular purpose?
Old 04-10-2015, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator

Beautiful job, Rob!
Old 04-10-2015, 04:59 PM

Nice job! Some beautiful figure in that blackwood.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-10-2015, 11:27 PM

Hi and thank you everyone. Paul, the box was made to make full use of the timber dimensions. I didn't want waste any. It's big enough to hold "Letter" and A4 paper flat. But it can be redimensioned inside to hold "Foolscap" paper flat as well.

But really, I just love the figure and colour of the timbers that were available to me.

TTB, We can still buy Huon Pine, but stuff with the birdseye artefact are quite rare. If you to look at some spectacular timbers, then go here

Regards,

Rob
Old 04-11-2015, 09:11 AM

Love that figured Blackwood Nicely done again, Rob
I'm guessing wood like that is pretty expensive and not readily available?
Old 04-11-2015, 06:22 PM

Hi Okami,

That kind of timber is difficult to find and in the wrong hands becomes very expensive. Those particular Blackwood boards came in a normal pack received by the timber yard I deal with. I get on very well with the Yardman and his deputy and they very kindly put it aside for me. It pays to establish relationships. The Blackwood in 25mm x 150mm (or 4/4 x 6" in the US) sells for about $17.00 a lineal metre. If you get in early and take the time to look, you can get some great timber for a good price.

The Huon is a different story. It is difficult to get at the best of times. There are some mills in Tasmania that sell direct and some of the timber is beautiful. But you pay for it. Somewhere around $50.00/lineal metre and up.

Regards,

Rob

Last edited by Ausrob; 04-11-2015 at 06:24 PM.