talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2015, 02:03 AM

Default Re: Walnut slab table

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
Thanks, Steve! I've been thinking of doing a slab desk, too. I'll look forward to seeing the progress on yours. I love the idea of putting a file cabinet at one end. Will you build that, too, or use a commercial one?

I used the Domino 500 - I don't have the XL. Seems to be sufficient!
I will build the cabinet as well. I'm still rolling things around in my head right now so I'm not sure when I will get to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okami View Post
The domi500 with the largest dominos are plenty big enough for that glue-up.
I've been using them for years on mitred table legs, together with keyed dovetails. Haven't had any problems with the joints failing so far.
I like the looks of those keyed dovetails.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-09-2015, 03:59 AM
Super Moderator

Okamisan - any chance you could post some pics of how you do those keyed joints? Like: how do you cut a stopped miter (if that's what it is)?
Old 04-10-2015, 07:02 PM

I love it. Well done, mate!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-10-2015, 11:06 PM

Excellent work, Peter! Love the slab for tables. Can you share approximate dimensions?

Neil
Old 04-10-2015, 11:11 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks Jim and Neil. The table was about 5 feet long, and 24 inches at its widest point. It ended up being 3 inches thick. When all assembled, the top was 17 inches off the ground.
Old 08-11-2015, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
A student of mine grew up in Oregon, and had a walnut tree in her backyard. Her parents had it cut down a few years ago, and had it milled into slabs. My student brought one of the slabs down: 4.5" thick, 6 feet long, and 24" wide at its widest point. She was planning on making a coffee table out of it, but the only tool she had for flattening it was a finish sander.

It would have taken her about 100 years, I figure...

I offered to do the table for her. She wanted metal hairpin legs at one end, and the slab folded down at the other. We had the legs made by a guy on Etsy, and I took care of the woodworking parts.

Flattening the table was a pretty big task. One side was out by about 1/4" - I did that using the scrub blade on my new CT-18 plane from Bridge City. It worked amazingly well!

The other side was out by about 3/4". I made a frame out of mdf and used my OF1400 router with a 1.5" diameter flat bit, and made about 100 passes (twice) to get the slab flat. I then hand planed it to get it really flat.

Folding the slab was challenging, as I didn't have a saw blade that would go all the way through the slab (which was now 3" thick). However, my ATF55 and the guide rails came through: with some careful alignment, I managed to make cuts from both sides. They met and were only off by 1 mm at the worst - mostly it was a perfect cut! A little hand planing of the end grain gave me perfectly flat surfaces for joining.

I used 5 of the big domino tenons to support the joint, and glued it all together. Worked great!

I sanded to 400 grit using the RO125 and ETS125, and finished with about 6 coats of Minwax wipe-on poly (gloss).

Here's what it looks like:

You can see some of the beautiful figure and color in the wood - it's really stunning! I inlaid two 3/4" thick curly maple butterflies to hold some splits closed so they wouldn't propagate. They really float on the dark walnut background.

Bummer I can't keep it. We were thinking of telling her that it caught fire, and she couldn't visit our house any more...
Nice work, looks like it would fit in my living room

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old 08-12-2015, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks. It would look nice in my livingroom too! Unfortunately I didn't get to keep it.