talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2015, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Walnut slab table

The butterflies are 3/4" thick, Paul. I used a router and template, and then finished the corners with a chisel. There was some smoke and embers involved...

You should post your trophies for us to admire, Rutager!
Old 04-05-2015, 08:46 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

I had the good fortune on one of my trips back East, to visit the shop of Jessica Wickham in Beacon, NY. She builds spectacular pieces from entirely reclaimed, storm damaged trees. If I was single, I'd marry her just for her slabs!

Wickham Solid Wood Studio

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wickh...59942954018093

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-05-2015, 09:42 PM
Administrator

Here's another wood source in the Sacramento region The Walnut Place

Same person does some nice work as well http://robertbeauchamp.com
Old 04-05-2015, 09:55 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderwino View Post

... If I was single, I'd marry her just for her slabs!
I love women with good slabs.

Old 04-05-2015, 10:34 PM
Super Moderator

Great links! Thanks - amazing work (and wood). And yes, I could see marrying a woman for her slabs...
Old 04-07-2015, 01:17 AM

Nice work! It looks fantastic!
I really enjoy working with slabs, more than any other woodworking. The wood speaks for itself and usually simple,not overly busy designs (like this one) are the best.
Unfortunately, slabs aren't cheap, and I don't get enough requests from customers for them. I'd like to be working with slabs everyday
Potosan, it looks like the upright and top are mitered together?
I guess you dominoed the two pieces together? Did you make a jig or glue-up caul to get them together nicely?
Also, is that a 45degree angle, or slightly different?
Looks great!

Last edited by Okami; 04-07-2015 at 01:19 AM. Reason: Added info
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-07-2015, 04:34 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks, Okamisan! Yes - I mitered the joint - it's at 70 degrees, to give the leg a nice slope up into the top. I used 5 big dominos. The clamping was an interesting challenge that I thought about for a long time. I finally clamped two boards crosswise on the larger slab to hold the heads of clamps that went from the end of the leg to the cross-boards. I also used long, lengthwise clamps. Between the four clamps (two of each) I was able to squeeze the joint closed beautifully. I used the Waxilit resist to make cleaning the squeeze-out simple. All-in-all, it was a relatively pain-free glue-up!

This was my first slab piece, and I'd love to make bunches more. Hopefully I'll get the opportunity...
Old 04-08-2015, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
Thanks, Okamisan! Yes - I mitered the joint - it's at 70 degrees, to give the leg a nice slope up into the top. I used 5 big dominos. The clamping was an interesting challenge that I thought about for a long time. I finally clamped two boards crosswise on the larger slab to hold the heads of clamps that went from the end of the leg to the cross-boards. I also used long, lengthwise clamps. Between the four clamps (two of each) I was able to squeeze the joint closed beautifully. I used the Waxilit resist to make cleaning the squeeze-out simple. All-in-all, it was a relatively pain-free glue-up!

This was my first slab piece, and I'd love to make bunches more. Hopefully I'll get the opportunity...
Wow! I log into the site just to see if it was still alive and saw your post. Really cool project.

Did you use the large Domino or the 500?

I just purchased a 10.5' 8/4 walnut slab last week and haven't finalized plans yet. I believe it will be a desk and similar to yours except a 90 degree waterfall leg on one end with filing cabinets on the other. I also have a small crack on one end and have been trying to decide what type of wood for the butterfly inlay. I like the figured maple.

Great job
Old 04-08-2015, 10:32 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks, Steve! I've been thinking of doing a slab desk, too. I'll look forward to seeing the progress on yours. I love the idea of putting a file cabinet at one end. Will you build that, too, or use a commercial one?

I used the Domino 500 - I don't have the XL. Seems to be sufficient!
Old 04-08-2015, 11:52 PM

The domi500 with the largest dominos are plenty big enough for that glue-up.
I've been using them for years on mitred table legs, together with keyed dovetails. Haven't had any problems with the joints failing so far.
Attached Thumbnails
walnut-slab-table-image.jpg