talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2015, 11:18 AM

Default A Greene & Greene style bed

Hello everyone. How are you all?

It's a long while since I posted here (or to any woodworking forum) but as I recently finished a bed that's been lying half-finished for rather too long, I thought I would post details of it here.

Cherry is the timber, with details made from African Blackwood and some ebony (including the sapwood). It's based very loosely on a similar bed shown in an old Fine Woodworking magazine but I changed the details and used Dominos for all the M&T joints, including the Very Large Ones for the main rail-to-head/footboard joints.

Now the ladywife has room to sprawl; and I am free from elbow and knee-jabs, although it's quite a journey across to her side when a waft of her parfum stirs the nether!

Pics here:

SirLataxe's Albums: Galleries: Digital Photography Review

I'm during very little woodwork at the moment as cycling and various other pursuits have got in the way. Also, it's getting harder to find room for yet another piece in the hoosey. We're even considering a move to make more room!

Lataxe
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-28-2015, 02:22 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears
Default Re: A Greene & Greene style bed

Well done! Moving so that you have room for more projects seems feasible to me. Course I'm not paying for the new mortgage either.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-28-2015, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

Nice work! You could always start selling off the older projects to replace them with new ones....

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 02-28-2015, 04:38 PM
Administrator

Well done!

I'm a huge fan of Greene & Greene.

Old 03-01-2015, 11:05 AM

In the past I've made and given away lots of furniture since I scavenge wood for nowt and don't regard the woodworking as work at all but rather "a pleasure of the shed". (There are others; and many shed types to support them). However, even the neighbours and relatives now have their hoosey stuffed with my .... stuff.

One alternative is to downsize and head off in the direction of making smaller or more intricate pieces. This might keep the woodworking obsession-flame burning as it would need new skills. There are Marcou mini-planes i' the shed, you know.

I did try carving .... but discovered I have no artistic ability so ended up with things that were well-enough carved but still as ugly as sin. :-) Also, carvings aren't much use unless they adorn a piece of furniture. (See, I lack all artistic sensibilities).

There is work going on in the way of door-making, to replace all the generic doors in wor hoose with nicer ones that match the furniture in the room to which they lead. I've acquired so much timber for free over the past decade that my timber store is abulge with it. Doors can use up quite a bit and a big Festool Domino is just the lad to make them.

There is a plan to make a cherry bedding box to match that Greene & Greene bed. I found a G&G mirror that will be serving as the design inspiration for that.....

All that cherry and sundry other stuff (e.g. for the slats) was originally the "offcuts" from a bloke I know who makes enormous first & second fit house parts - stairs, windows and the like. His offcuts (previously burnt in a stove to keep his enormous workshop warm) became my planks. The ebony was a small chunk given to me by a turner - one of those lads that's always making wooden goblets and bowls. I did consider downsizing to turning but never feel the need for so many round things. :-)

Lataxe