talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2015, 02:56 PM

Default New headphone stand

I'm working on a stand for a new set of headphones. I decided to put a couple of maloof joints in there with my new found skills

I used some highly figured maple with walnut. I am pretty happy with where it is now but I am debating tapering the front of the headphone holder back (mostly from underneath) which would basically take the lower front corners off. The pictures make it look like it overhangs the base but it is actually about the same length. It would probably look better to be a little shorter but not too much. I would like for the headphones head rest to lay flat (which they do now).

I didn't do this from any plans other than knowing the approximate height it needed to be. I have been applying the RAS liberally to whatever felt right. The base used to be close to the original full thickness and it took that down about 1/4 to 3/8" and sloped it towards the walnut joint.

What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
new-headphone-stand-headphone-stand.jpg   new-headphone-stand-headphone-stand-2.jpg   new-headphone-stand-headphone-stand-3.jpg   new-headphone-stand-headphone-stand-4.jpg  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-12-2015, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas
Default Re: New headphone stand

Looks great, especially the joints! If you want to "lighten up" the front of the rack, you could try hollowing it from the bottom and leave the front corners where they are. If that doesn't look right, you can always start tapering it up.

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-12-2015, 07:53 PM

I love the joints and your sculpting. I am new to the RAS, just acquiring it recently to sculpt a couple of chair seats, thought it worked great. Let us see the project with your final changes.
Old 01-13-2015, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderwino View Post
Looks great, especially the joints! If you want to "lighten up" the front of the rack, you could try hollowing it from the bottom and leave the front corners where they are. If that doesn't look right, you can always start tapering it up.
I think that is good advice; I will probably go that route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
I love the joints and your sculpting. I am new to the RAS, just acquiring it recently to sculpt a couple of chair seats, thought it worked great. Let us see the project with your final changes.
thanks Paul, I like the RAS for sculpting. I purchased a Bosch angle grinder with a couple of different grit grinding discs when I was doing the chair seats. I like the RAS for its dust control and ease of control overall. Unless I'm in a hurry or have a heck of a lot of material to remove, I reach for the RAS.
Old 01-15-2015, 02:36 AM

I ended up taking a little from underneath and from the corners to soften up the end a bit. I think I am happy and ready for finish.
Attached Thumbnails
new-headphone-stand-img_1842.jpg   new-headphone-stand-img_1843.jpg   new-headphone-stand-img_1844.jpg  
Old 01-15-2015, 05:23 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears

Wonderful work. Love the joinery. Waiting for the finish. I suspect it'll really pop that grain.
Old 01-15-2015, 06:42 PM

Looks great.
Old 01-16-2015, 01:40 AM
Super Moderator

Excellent job on the joinery and shaping! Looks beautiful! I'm sure my girls will be eyeing it...
Old 01-16-2015, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeTwoBears View Post
Wonderful work. Love the joinery. Waiting for the finish. I suspect it'll really pop that grain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausrob View Post
Looks great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
Excellent job on the joinery and shaping! Looks beautiful! I'm sure my girls will be eyeing it...
Thanks!

I have a few scraps of the maple and I think I am going to try a couple of different finishes on them to see what grabs me. The maple does have some beautiful figure in it that I want to make the most of.
Old 01-20-2015, 01:47 AM

I applied the finish this weekend. At this point, they are 99.5% done. I am going to wet sand them when the lacquer has had time to cure and apply a polish.

I picked up several dyes at my local woodcraft and wasn't too thrilled with any of them. In my comparison on the scrap wood, I tried 3 dyes and 2 clear finishes on 5 different pieces. I went back to Woodcraft and talked to a guy I respect a lot who teaches the finish class. He recommended the finish I used and told me the steps to apply it. I was leaning towards one of the clear finishes, shellac or lacquer (or both) but he showed me a sample of the dye finish and it reminded me of a musical instrument finish. Given its use, I thought it would really work.

the dye used is Behlen solar-lux maple brown. I diluted it to about 50% or less eyeballing it. I sanded between the first 3 coats and left the last one as is before applying 7 or 8 coats of behlen spray lacquer.

I like the look and the headphones look good on it. It will serve its purpose well.
Attached Thumbnails
new-headphone-stand-img_1862.jpg   new-headphone-stand-img_1863.jpg   new-headphone-stand-img_1865.jpg