talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2015, 09:18 PM

Default My first 2015 project

I've been turning for a couple years -- mostly pens, and then other to various spindle turnings. I bought a bowl gouge last year, unhandled, so no bowl projects since I bought it. I/m determined to try my hand at bowls this year.

This handle is maple, with several green veneers laminated into the blank for fun. I needed a bit more length, so I added a walnut cap on the front end. Finally I turned the walnut cap with a tenon so I could add a brass compression nut. This was a heavy hex sided nut, but I turned it to smooth it to a round profile.

The finish is just a simple wipe on butcher block finish.
Attached Thumbnails
my-first-2015-project-bowl-gouge1.jpg   my-first-2015-project-bowl-gouge2.jpg  
Old 01-04-2015, 09:30 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

Nice start for the year! So a bowl is next?

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-04-2015, 09:57 PM

Default Re: My first 2015 project

That is beautiful. How did you attach the walnut, just end glued or did you put some sort of internal support? Please tell more about turning the brass. This gives me inspiration.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-04-2015, 10:29 PM

The walnut was just glued on, but I did glue side grain to end grain, just figuring that might help a bit. I am not really concerned about strength since the round gouge fit snugly into the bored hole, which goes well into the maple, and it was epoxied in.

Non-ferrous metals are pretty easy to turn on a wood lathe. I've turned brass compression fittings, and heavy copper couplers, using standard HSS tools. I've used a scraper in the past, but used my carbide tool on this one. My carbide tool is a short handled tool that I bought for pens, although it does have a 1/2" square bar, like bigger tools. It was fine for this. Just take it slow until you get a feeling for how it turns.

Here are a couple screwdrivers I made a couple years ago, as Christmas presents. (I told the recipients they better not drop them or otherwise abuse them!) The bottom one uses a copper cap, and I just bored the end out as I bored the hole for the socket for the screwdriver bit. These use cheap reversible screwdrivers (Buck Bros. ?) I bought for a few dollars each at Home Depot. I just "Dremel" off the old handle, cutting almost all the way thru, and then prying the plastic until it splits. HArbor Freight also sells them, but they upgraded the handle and raised the price, so I prefer the Home Depot version since it is easier to break open.
Attached Thumbnails
my-first-2015-project-screwdrivers.jpg  
Old 01-04-2015, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderwino View Post
Nice start for the year! So a bowl is next?
Yes, although the 3/8" bowl gouge looks awfully small. (Seems like I read somewhere that this was the size recommended for beginning bowl turners.)

Never one to be satisfied, I'm sure I'll buy another, and maybe one of those ones with a fingernail grind, and that means some additional jigs for the bench grinder, and then I need ...
Old 01-05-2015, 10:17 PM

I like it a lot! What brand of tool is it? It looks like a Thompson.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-06-2015, 12:08 AM

The bowl gouge is a P&N (Patience & Nicholson, Australian). It was less than $40 from Lee Valley. (I just realized it is 12mm, which they also call 1/2", but the hole I bored is 15/32", since the diameter was measured at .484" -- a bit over 12mm.) The catalog says "hard wearing, M2 high speed steel", and that they are "renowned for their robust construction and edge holding ability".

I am a sucker for a good marketing story. Plus it would be nice to have a tool made somewhere other than China. And extra points because I bought it from a Canadian company ... And finally, I was kinda taken with the matte black finish.

Come to think of it, though, my carbide tool is made in the USA - a Woodchuck PenPro. And I do believe the carbide inserts are German.

Last edited by TimberMagic; 01-06-2015 at 12:36 AM. Reason: mentioned wrong diamnter of tool