talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2014, 08:38 AM

Default Tassie Blackwood desk for my wife.

Greetings all,

This is the story of the building of a Blackwood desk which will go in our small office for my wife to work on, since she now works from home sometimes. It will accommodate a computer, some drawers and some desk top trays.
First stop was to make the top. This is 1.4m x 620mm x 22mm. It has been finished with Hard Burnishing Oil from Organoil. The result is rich, smooth and has a pleasant smell to it.
Figs 1-4 show the finished top from various angles. The thing I love about HBO is the resilience that the finish has and how beautifully it sets off the grain in a timber.

Regards,

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
tassie-blackwood-desk-my-wife-1.jpg   tassie-blackwood-desk-my-wife-2.jpg   tassie-blackwood-desk-my-wife-3.jpg   tassie-blackwood-desk-my-wife-5.jpg  
Old 12-27-2014, 09:17 PM

Default Re: Tassie Blackwood desk for my wife.

Very nice.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-27-2014, 11:33 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-04-2015, 05:57 AM

Hi, all,

Here's a pic of the finished desk. The tower (on the right hand side facing), is open sided as is the other end. This will help with ventilation of the ubiquitous computer. I'm sorry I didn't do this as a story, but the temps down here have been 100+ Fahrenheit and I really had to move quickly to get any work done in my brick and tin shed.
You can also see how disturbed the cat was by the construction of the desk.

Regards,

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
tassie-blackwood-desk-my-wife-15.jpg   tassie-blackwood-desk-my-wife-1.jpg  
Old 01-08-2015, 01:28 AM

And some more shots of the finished item.

Regards,

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
tassie-blackwood-desk-my-wife-15.jpg   tassie-blackwood-desk-my-wife-18.jpg   tassie-blackwood-desk-my-wife-19.jpg   tassie-blackwood-desk-my-wife-20.jpg  
Old 01-08-2015, 01:55 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

Looks great! Just not enough clutter on it yet....

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 01-08-2015, 03:47 AM

Amen, brother, amen. And I can tell you now it will be my fault that the desk doesn't expand to fit the logarithmic growth curve of clutter!!

Regards,

Rob
Old 01-08-2015, 05:12 PM

The desk looks far too pretty to actually work on, you must have the working desk in the other corner of the room. Just like all of the towels and pillows scattered throughout the house my wife won't let me actually use, perhaps. Although my preference is for beautiful functionality, perhaps you can let you wife work at the desk if she promises to use a desk blotter and coasters, and sit up straight at all times.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:24 AM

Thanks, Paul. She'll only use it in anger for about 3-4 days a month, so I hope it'll keep it's character well.
Must say though, she goes into the office and sits at the desk just to scan the net!

Regards,

Rob
Old 01-11-2015, 03:01 PM

Really nice work, it is gorgeous