talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2014, 01:09 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas
Default Cottonwood Coffee Table

Our local Lions club is holding a fundraising dinner & auction in January, so I decided to make a coffee table from a slab I've had laying around for a while.

It had about a 3/8" cup across its 22" width. Just a little too wide for the A3-41, so I had to flatten it by hand. I started with my old Stanley scrub plane, graduating to the LN #8, then a LN #5, followed by a Scott Meeks oak smoother. As it has live edges, the LN convex squirrel tail was the only tool that could follow the contours.
Attached Thumbnails
cottonwood-coffee-table-image-4170655466.jpg  

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-21-2014, 01:10 AM
Super Moderator

A closeup of the final surface.
Attached Thumbnails
cottonwood-coffee-table-image-178338378.jpg  

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-21-2014, 01:13 AM
Super Moderator

This was the first large hand planing job I've done in a long time. I didn't realize how out of shape I am. The pain could only be cured with veterinary medicine.
Attached Thumbnails
cottonwood-coffee-table-image-961923288.jpg  

Old 12-21-2014, 01:25 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Cottonwood Coffee Table

That's a serious workout, Alex! Nice job! I think I would have punted and used a router or something. Looks like you got a beautiful surface there. And how fun it must have been to use all those great planes!
Old 12-21-2014, 04:37 AM

A table of very nice tools! Project is great also.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:06 AM

Very nice job and great tools too. I have a problem though. Down here we don't get squirrels. Could I use a wombat tail plane do you think??

Regards,

Rob
Old 12-22-2014, 12:40 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears

Nice table top. Love the look of the wood. How's cottonwood to work with? I'm assuming it's really soft. I just took one down and was wondering if it was worth trying to mill up.
Old 12-22-2014, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator

Mike, it seems to have lots of internal tension that makes boards warp as you work them. I remember milling this 15 years ago and the cants came off the mill with warps in them and still wet after the log sat for two years!

As I discovered while cutting mortises for Dutchmen on the bottom, even the sharpest chisel tends to smush the fiber on cross-grain cuts. I ended up cutting those with a utility knife and paring the waste with chisels. I haven't gotten to finishing the ends yet, but I plan on RO125FEQ through several grades until the final finish.

I think the key is ultra sharp tools or you end up with a fuzzy surface. It is probably the softest hardwood you'll ever work.

Old 12-23-2014, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderwino View Post
It is probably the softest hardwood you'll ever work.

Unless you work balsa into any of your projects. (It really is a hardwood!)

Charles
Old 01-01-2015, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderwino View Post
A closeup of the final surface.
That looks nice. Regarding the difficulty in milling, I'm not surprised. A friend of mine claims the Indian word for cottonwood means "sh!twood".

I'm assuming he was kidding, but we took one down in our yard and kept some for firewood. After 2 -3 years, it still was a bear to get to burn in the fireplace, or to keep it burning. Small slivers seemed to burn when the fireplace had a roaring fire from pine or oak, but we were glad to finally use it up.