talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2014, 01:18 AM

Default No errant darts please

Finally finished my on-again off-again project and hung it out on the patio, a dartboard cabinet. I wanted to learn about tambour doors, so I bought a truckload of hickory and this was the result:

Front view:

Doors open:

Storage space behind the scoreboard - teams lined up for battle:

I thought about some sort of a face frame, but opted instead for simplicity - interested in your thoughts.

My son-in-law commented that I shouldn't have spent so much time on a project at which people throw pointy objects, but I had fun anyway.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-02-2014, 02:56 AM

Default Re: No errant darts please

Nice work, Paul!
Old 12-02-2014, 04:27 AM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears

Nice work. Like the choice of wood and your design.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-02-2014, 07:01 PM

Thanks, I'm glad its finally done - turned out more complex than it seems, had to leave the back open to allow the tambour track to exit, etc., but it all worked out in the end.
Old 12-05-2014, 04:17 PM

If i had produced this, i'd put it behind glass..
A couple of questions, if you don't mind..
1. How'd you get the 'striped look' ? Just by choosing different-looking hickory?
2. How did you build the tambour door?
3. Do you really allow people to chuck pointed objects at your handywork??
To come up with some criticism: i do not like the whiteboard. I'd have opted for blackboard and chalk. Nicer contrast, imo.
Best regards: andi
Old 12-05-2014, 09:16 PM

Andi

1. The striped look of the slats was just different natural shades of the hickory. I thought of trying to keep the wood sequential or book-matched, so to speak, but that turned into an impossible task, there were several steps in milling those individual tambour slats, and keeping them in order was not practical.
2. The tambour door is made of slats that fit together in a keyhole configuration, using the router bit set sold by Amana. If you google that you can find it easily. Of course, traditional methods are just slats glued onto a canvas back, I don't know which is better. I thought I would try the interlocking milled slat method, but there was a lot of fussing around with set up and finishing. My advice is to make them fit tighter than you think they should, to keep them from sliding along the long axis, they will still bend around curves. The slats slide in a track that exits out the back, if you need to take it off the wall and replace some slats. It hangs on the wall with French cleats. This is the configuration of the top and bottom pieces before assembly:

3. yes, we throw darts at it. I am making a replaceable backerboard behind the dartboard itself, to allow for minor mis-throws.

I get your point about the scoreboard, gray or green chalkboard might look better, but then there would be the chalk dust, so, ... . At any rate, when ordered I was most concerned about dimensions, swapping out the scoreboard is just a couple of screws, easily done if I decide to change the aesthetics.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:36 PM

Thank you for the reply, Paul, and may the 'Bulls' eye' always be hit by you.