talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2014, 10:57 PM

Default Anyone ready for a spot of tea?

A girl I used to work with when I lived in NZ is a friend on Facebook. She liked the boxes I have posted there (damnfinefurniture is the moniker) and so I said I would make here a box for her desk. Being a good Kiwi girl, she said "No, I want something that I can show off." (Never backward in asking for what they want are the Kiwis!!!)

After going through various piles of off cuts, extras and just piles of timber, I decided on Curly Jarrah for the box and Silky Oak (Lacewood) for the trays.
There are two levels of trays. The three on the bottom hold Tea bags and the top ones hold 6 tea spoons. The panel in the lid is Tassie Blackwood. The top trays rest on shelf supports, which can be removed to allow access to the tea bags. The bottom trays are removable.
The finish is Hard Burnishing Oil, but I also used a wax coating on the outside of the box. Just me I guess!

Regards,

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
anyone-ready-spot-tea-8.jpg   anyone-ready-spot-tea-12.jpg   anyone-ready-spot-tea-14.jpg   anyone-ready-spot-tea-19.jpg   anyone-ready-spot-tea-20.jpg  

anyone-ready-spot-tea-23.jpg  
Old 11-01-2014, 12:06 AM

Default Re: Anyone ready for a spot of tea?

The shelf pins for support is good idea.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-01-2014, 01:31 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears

Nice, as always. I'll bet she's super pleased.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-01-2014, 09:40 PM

Thanks ttb, she was rather pleased. It was beautiful piece of Jarrah.

Regards.

Rob
Old 12-18-2014, 09:31 AM

Man thats beautiful, awesome work and I'm sure she or anyone else would just love it. I better not show those pics to my other half or she'll be after one like it and I'd be hard pressed to make anything as nice as that!
Old 12-18-2014, 04:09 PM

Thanks, Acrobat, I'm glad you like it.

Regards,

Rob
Old 12-22-2014, 06:53 PM

Great work as always Rob. I like the lacewood, I just used it myself for the first time in a project, enjoyed the way it worked and finished.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:00 PM

Thank you, Paul. I find Lacewood to be very co-operative as far as working goes. It takes an oil finish quite well too.

Regards,

Rob