talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2014, 11:00 PM

Default Re: My attempt at bowl turning

Those bowls are great looking and I have been putting off learning how to do them. It makes me want to learn.
I purchased a lathe a few months ago because I wanted to gain some skills prior to a rocker project. It derailed the rest of my woodworking for about two months but there will never be another uncorked wine bottle within a 50 mile radius of my house!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-29-2014, 11:37 PM

Lol. I remember getting to Xmas and thinking there better be a card from Dale Nish one year.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-30-2014, 06:21 AM

I have been more of a sander than a turner for many years; didn't do it enough to get that skilled, then I saw the Bridge City Blog with instructions on making John's famous nutcracker and after making a couple, my skills jumped up vastly. The nutcrackers are a beautiful project. Here is the link to the instructions: How to Build the Economaki Nutcracker..

Use something like cocobolo or Macassar ebony to get the best looking project- they buff out to a very high sheen.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutager View Post
I have been more of a sander than a turner for many years; didn't do it enough to get that skilled, then I saw the Bridge City Blog with instructions on making John's famous nutcracker and after making a couple, my skills jumped up vastly. The nutcrackers are a beautiful project. Here is the link to the instructions: How to Build the Economaki Nutcracker..

Use something like cocobolo or Macassar ebony to get the best looking project- they buff out to a very high sheen.
That looks like a fun and beautiful project. Thanks for posting.
Old 11-01-2014, 12:04 AM

Nice job on the turning.

It's a relaxing aspect of woodworking IF you take your time!

neil
Old 11-03-2014, 03:16 PM

Thanks Rutager, I'd like to try my hand at one of those nutcrackers!
Here's a few more pics of the tail end of the bowl turning process:

I've just turned the bowl around and have it chucked in my Longworth chuck. (I wish I bought the smaller one)

I begin turning down the tenon into just a small foot stand. I part it off the live center:

There are many options for the shape of the foot. I like this small circle that stands proud. As if it's glued on to the bottom of the bowl. It's a personal preference. At this point, I don't dare spin it faster than 600 rpm's. The Longworth chuck does only an ok job of holding it fast. There's a high risk the bowl can fly off. I've learned this from experience! I take very shallow cuts.

I sand it all the way to 600 grit paper and then a coat of oil, let dry overnight and a coat of wax the next day. And the finished bowl:

Last edited by JimKirkpatrick; 11-03-2014 at 04:30 PM.
Old 11-03-2014, 05:21 PM

Hi Jim,

I'm no turner, but that looks neat!

Regards,

Rob
Old 11-04-2014, 04:39 AM
Super Moderator

Love it!!!
Old 11-05-2014, 07:47 AM

That's a great "starter" lathe you got.

Very nice job on the bowls.
Old 01-07-2015, 05:28 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears

Jim,

I, like you, like the Easy Wood Tools. I think they're great. What size is your PVC pipe that you used for the rack? I'm going to steal your idea. I'm assuming you won't mind. Imitation being the sincerest form of flattery and all....

Mike

Last edited by TahoeTwoBears; 01-07-2015 at 05:30 PM.