talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2014, 10:03 AM

Default My journey to a split top bench.

Last year when I was ready to start spending my tool money I ran across a Craigs list ad for a bunch of large size lumber for sale. I was looking for material to make my Lathe Stand. One thing lead to another and I ended up making a split top bench, if I ever get it done....

Things being a little quite around here I thought I would work on sharing my journey over several posts.

Let there be wood:

When I called about the wood I found out is was an estate sale of a turner and a fellow turner was helping the widow sell off the lumber. I bought several large slabs of Maple and a slab of Black Myrtlewood. $4 BF for the maple and $5 bf for the Myrtle. I also got a 4x4 of Myrtle for turning projects.

my-journey-split-top-bench-img_0885.jpg

I thought I had a photo of all of the wood but I took photos of the second load and missed the 3 slabs I used for my Lathe stand. This is the stack of material for the bench, I also bought a old dry 6x6 Douglas Fir that was nearly clear for the legs for 20.00.

This material being way to large for me to cut on a machine I bought a couple of hand saws from a guy on Ebay, his company name is Takeadip tools.

First off cutting the legs from the 6x6. A good workout.

Last edited by Sta2lt; 08-22-2014 at 06:13 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-21-2014, 10:17 AM

Default re: My journey to a split top bench.

Somehow I cut myself off on the last post.

First milling the legs:

Cross cut legs to length.

my-journey-split-top-bench-img_0886.jpg

Legs stacked and ready to plane on the A3-31

Attachment 8622

Square and straight

Attachment 8623

Last edited by Sta2lt; 08-22-2014 at 06:15 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-21-2014, 10:25 AM

I needed a spot for building legs so I had "milled" up two slabs for the top and put them on saw horses.

Attachment 8624

One slab was to large for the A3-31, it is good to have a buddy with a portable saw mill.

Attachment 8625

I will add more in the next few days.

Last edited by Sta2lt; 08-21-2014 at 10:28 AM. Reason: finish post.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator

Great! I love bench builds!

Old 08-22-2014, 06:43 AM

I am not sure what happened to my photos in the last 2 posts, I am not able to see the photos that are listed as attachments.... If someone can explain what I did wrong please chime in. Here goes another try on building the legs assy's.

I was able to find some KD 2x6 Doug Fir at the local discount lumber yard. This material was nearly clear and very reasonably priced, perfect for making stringers between leg assy's. I glued 2 2x6's and then made the stringers from the resulting 4x6's.

This photo shows 6x6 legs and 4x6's on the slabs ready to cut mortices and tenons.

Attachment 8641

Most of the M&T's cut by hand:

Attachment 8642my-journey-split-top-bench-img_1025.jpgmy-journey-split-top-bench-img_1028.jpgmy-journey-split-top-bench-img_1029.jpg

On to glue up of end assy's. All joints glued and pinned with #2 Purple Heart Miller Dowel Pins.
my-journey-split-top-bench-img_1030.jpgmy-journey-split-top-bench-img_1032.jpgmy-journey-split-top-bench-img_1033.jpgmy-journey-split-top-bench-img_1034.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
my-journey-split-top-bench-img_1024.jpg  
Old 09-08-2014, 08:47 PM

Default Re: My journey to a split top bench.

The slabs: I choose 2 of the maple slabs for the top one is a bout 10" wide and the other is about 14. both being to large to cut any other way I hand cross cut them to rough length and then S4S the narrow one on my A3-31. The wider one I took to my friend who has a Woodmizer Mill.

Lets hope the photos come out this time....

my-journey-split-top-bench-img_0895.jpg

my-journey-split-top-bench-img_0937.jpg

my-journey-split-top-bench-img_0950.jpg

my-journey-split-top-bench-img_0953.jpg
Old 09-08-2014, 09:10 PM

Building the base:

I knew I was going to use the 6x6 for the legs and bought the 2x6's to build the stretchers. I glued the 2x6 to make 4x6 for stretchers. Most of the cutting of mortice and tenons was done by hand. I did use the MM16 for cutting a few tenons at the end to see how that worked, should have done that sooner! It was fun however seeing how fast I could cut some of the joints by hand, taking some very large chips off with chisels.

Joints were glued and pinned with #2 Purple Heart Miller Dowel pins. Overnight temps were cold in the garage so I had to store sub assy's in the laundry room overnight to cure the glue.

my-journey-split-top-bench-img_1023.jpg

my-journey-split-top-bench-img_1024.jpg

my-journey-split-top-bench-img_1025.jpg

my-journey-split-top-bench-img_1037.jpg

my-journey-split-top-bench-img_1033.jpg

my-journey-split-top-bench-img_1034.jpg

my-journey-split-top-bench-img_1038.jpg

my-journey-split-top-bench-img_1041.jpg
Old 09-08-2014, 09:46 PM
Super Moderator

Looks GREAT! I'm loving seeing the build. Those are pretty honking huge slabs - how much do they weigh? I'm sure I couldn't lift them.

Nice looking shop. I'm envious!
Old 09-09-2014, 04:47 AM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears

Old 09-09-2014, 04:51 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
Looks GREAT! I'm loving seeing the build. Those are pretty honking huge slabs - how much do they weigh? I'm sure I couldn't lift them.

Nice looking shop. I'm envious!
Nice and clean too!