talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2014, 03:17 PM

Default Another 'stray' dragged home and rebuilt

There's a Big Green Egg dealer not far from where I work. They tossed out a Cypress Big Green Egg table for an XL model Smoker since they were not going to rebuild it and it was worn out in their minds.
I hauled it home...
First time working with Cypress, interesting smell when you cut/plane it.
Replaced 3 top boards, cut the radius of the boards to match the old ones and the existing boards. Had to buy 8/4 cypress and resaw it to the thickness I needed with my bandsaw. That went fast and easy with my little 14" Rikon BS, and then a few light cuts with my old Ryobi lunchbox planer for thickness amount to match the exist boards.
4 boards on the bottom section were charred pretty bad. Either not enough air gap for cooling, or they ran their Egg with no stone insulation since the burned marks were about the diameter and circular pattern of an EGG. Hmmmm...
Did not need to chop the entire boards up, just removed the short damaged sections and added a brace support where they ended.
I used the full thickness of the 8/4 board for that since XL Eggs are really heavy, and BGE cut some corners in the construction of these tables that I needed to 'undo' in places and improve on.
Things like, lots of staples, cross grain gluing to keep the staples working, lighter wood support in places where more would be much better.
The Casters are a bit worn, but still work, so I'm leaving them alone.
This is a Craigslist resale project since I have no need or room for this table in my backyard. A few pics now, more to come once it stops raining and I can starting the finishing process outside where the table is residing since we didn't want to kick a car outside the garage for two weeks while I work on this table.

I used the heck out of my Rotex 150 for the sanding. 60g Cristal, then 80g Granat, then 80g Rubin2 once all the traces of stain and varnish finish are gone. I still need to go one more grit higher and smooth out what I'm sure will be water raised grain from the table sitting outside under a tarp in all this rain we've been having.
I really liked learning about the Rotex and how to get the most out of it on this project. I DID end up with 'ringing' or buzzy arms and hands from all the sanding in rotex mode versus Random Orbit, but that sensation was always gone the next morning so I'll live....
The Ls130 did a great job of sanding a radius on the outside edges and also the inner radius where the hole is cut out for the Smoker in the table. Much simpler than getting a router out and a round-over bit.

Basic table dimensions if you were wondering are about 60" long, 32" wide, 32" tall.
Most of the boards are 15/16" thick, so I couldn't use 4/4 or 3/4" for repairs....
BGE is now selling smaller, and more expensive Mahogany tables to supercede the older Cypress ones...
Attached Thumbnails
another-stray-dragged-home-rebuilt-big-green-egg-table-023.jpg  

Last edited by Leakyroof; 06-19-2014 at 03:46 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-19-2014, 03:19 PM

Default Re: Another 'stray' dragged home and rebuilt

Side view with new bottom boards installed. Stainless steel screws and ipe plugs to cover the screws.
Attached Thumbnails
another-stray-dragged-home-rebuilt-big-green-egg-table-024.jpg  
Old 06-19-2014, 03:20 PM

My support on the left, the factory support on the right. I have a SMALLER Large Egg, and I think it weighs 140lbs or so. So, I wasn't going to cut corners on the bottom board support which holds the whole smoker upright.....
Attached Thumbnails
another-stray-dragged-home-rebuilt-big-green-egg-table-025.jpg  
Old 06-20-2014, 01:34 PM

Finally looking all together now...1st coat of Sikkens Cetol on and no more sanding.....
Attached Thumbnails
another-stray-dragged-home-rebuilt-table-pics-002.jpg  
Old 06-20-2014, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

So, when is the party?

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-20-2014, 01:37 PM

So, THIS showed up. Yet another table being tossed out. I'm trying to decide if I bring this smaller table home and start all over again. It doesn't have any burned wood, so that's a plus. I DO still have some Cypress left over that's cut to the 3 1/2" wide boards that the BGE tables all seem to use.
Hmmm Stayed tuned.....- UPDATE- It's in the back of my truck as we speak... or as I post as the case may be...
So, it's a smaller/narrower version of the big table, probably fits a large or medium Egg Smoker. No burned wood, have not seen any rotted boards yet... Might just get by with some fastener corrections and some Saphir sanding, followed by Rubin 2. Glad I didn't put my Rotex away yet...
Attached Thumbnails
another-stray-dragged-home-rebuilt-table-pics-006.jpg  

Last edited by Leakyroof; 06-20-2014 at 07:56 PM.
Old 06-20-2014, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderwino View Post
So, when is the party?
No party, justs lots of work.. The table is going on Craigslist once the rain, which never seems to stop around here lately, allows me to get more coats of finish on.
If I bring home that smaller table, same thing, turn around and sell it.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:59 PM

Now I'm getting hungry - glad its almost lunch time. Project looks too pretty and time-consuming to put on Craig's list, unless you can sell it for a pile of dough (Barbequed pizza, anyone?)
Old 06-20-2014, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Now I'm getting hungry - glad its almost lunch time. Project looks too pretty and time-consuming to put on Craig's list, unless you can sell it for a pile of dough (Barbequed pizza, anyone?)
Pretty, well thank you...
Time consuming, a bit, but SOOOOO much faster than years ago when I didn't own 10 Festool sanders.....
I probably spent more time flattening the cupping on the top boards on the big table than watching the Cristal and Granat eat up the old stain and varnish finish. Both abrasives were hungry.....
And if I need a bit of premade Cypress board for this newest table, I still have some cut to width and ready to thickness to what I need.