talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2014, 09:26 AM

Default A trio of boxes for a trio of brothers.

Hi all,

I am going to begin very soon, three boxes, one for myself and one each for my two brothers. I intend to show the build for the three separate boxes here. This is only forum I shall show them on. All three of us are in our sixties and a couple of us have had some problems of late that have made me decide that it would be a good thing for all of us to have a receptacle into which we can put mementos of the stages of our journey. In this way I hope to strengthen our family bond and create a legacy which we can all be proud of and which marks our place in the world.

Each box will be made from timber that I feel best represents the character of each of us. The boxes will probably vary in form and final structure, but all will be about 0.75 metres in length x 0.6 metres tall x 0.5 metres deep. These are approximate and will ultimately be determined by the feeling I have for each piece. They will all be originals and of the finest timbers I can lay my hands on.
So I'll be starting soon as I can decide just where to begin. Someone once said that one step starts the journey of a thousand miles....

Regards,

Rob
Old 05-15-2014, 03:08 PM

Default Re: A trio of boxes for a trio of brothers.

Okay Rob, we await your boxes, and the journey they take you on.
Plus the odd picture of Australian wood/Timber that once AGAIN is so nice, and so hard for me to obtain , easily...
Old 05-15-2014, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator

Very much looking forward to your box build, Rob. I've often thought of building a box for my ashes once I die. Maybe a matching set that would dovetail together so my wife and I could be together in our ashy state.
Old 05-17-2014, 05:01 AM

So. I've decided to make two of the boxes using regional timbers and the third, I'm still not sure about.
The first box is going to exclusively Queensland timbers. The carcass will be of QLD Walnut and the top panel will be beautiful fiddle back QLD Maple. At present I think the internal two boxes/trays will be Northern Silky Oak, but I may change that to Mango, or another timber. I have decided to use timber for the base of the box rather than felt. I feel this will add character and a certain olde world charm to the piece.
This is the QLD Maple (two outside pieces) and the QLD Walnut (inner piece) prior to processing. The chocolate and green in the Walnut are apparent as is the fiddle back in the Maple.

Regards,

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
trio-boxes-trio-brothers-box_1_timber_1.jpg   trio-boxes-trio-brothers-box_1_timber_2.jpg  
Old 05-20-2014, 05:21 PM

Looking forward to seeing the progress of this project, Rob. Thanks for posting here - looks like interesting timber, we would expect nothing less from you.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-20-2014, 07:27 PM

So, here's day 1 on the Queensland Box.

I have resawn and planed the QLD Walnut for the carcass of the box. I bought a new Bimetal 2TPI (hook tooth) band saw blade for the purpose. I tested it on a piece of 150 x 50 x 200 mm piece of Red Gum and it was like a hot knife through butter!...but not on the Walnut. This is seriously hard stuff!

I have toyed with the idea of using West Australian She-Oak for the internal boxes, but have decided to continue with the Northern Silky Oak instead.

Pic. 1 shows the resawn, planed panels ready for jointing. The box will be 750 mm long x 400 mm wide and 343 mm deep. Then the lid will sit on top. The final design will be very similar to the Embroidery boxes I make.

The panels are joined together with 4 mm dominoes and thus create the sides.

Pics. 2 and 3 show the sides glued up and clamped. It's hard to miss the prominent colour bands. These will really stand out after oiling.

Pic 4 shows one of the sides after glue up, ready for sanding.

Pic 5 shows the Queensland Maple which will be used for the box base. It has great figure!!

More tomorrow.

Regards,

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
trio-boxes-trio-brothers-walnut_planed_and_resawn_1.jpg   trio-boxes-trio-brothers-panel_glued_up_1.jpg   trio-boxes-trio-brothers-panel_glued_up_2.jpg   trio-boxes-trio-brothers-panel_glued_up_3.jpg   trio-boxes-trio-brothers-maple_box_base_1.jpg  

Last edited by Ausrob; 05-22-2014 at 12:10 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-21-2014, 01:54 AM

Rob -- looking forward to seeing the boxes completed!

But you had me worried. The way you started your story, I thought you were going to say the boxes were for your ashes!

I just turned 62 so I am a little sensitive to stories of old guys in their 60s. My mind says I'm 40-ish, but my body has a vastly different view of my condition.

Last edited by TimberMagic; 05-21-2014 at 01:56 AM.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:58 AM

Hi TM,
LOL!!
I did a test recently which said I have the mind of a 27 year old! But...lots of other body parts assure me I'm 60!

Regards

Rob
Old 05-22-2014, 12:09 AM

So yesterday saw the beginning of the box assembly. I have used Dovetails for the joining of the sides. I could have used finger joints, but I finally decided that little DT's would look better.

Figs 1-3 show the set up and final result of the process as performed on a Leigh D4R DT jig.

Figs 4 and 5 show the sides locked together (dry) with the dovetails. I'm pretty happy with the result.

The next thing I needed to do was to make the floor of the box. The idea of using Ply wood or MDF with felt on it didn't appeal. I felt it would cheapen the final appearance, so I cut 7 x 6 mm strips of the figured Maple which will be glued together to make the base. In addition, they will have two 20 mm deep braces put across them on the outside of the bottom.

Fig 6 shows the seven pieces just lying loosely across the top of the carcass.

Fig 7. shows the a piece of the Northern Silky Oak which will be used for the internal cabinetry.

More tomorrow,

Regards,

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
trio-boxes-trio-brothers-dovetail_pins.jpg   trio-boxes-trio-brothers-dovetail_tails.jpg   trio-boxes-trio-brothers-dovetail_joined.jpg   trio-boxes-trio-brothers-box_carcass_1.jpg   trio-boxes-trio-brothers-box_carcass_2.jpg  

trio-boxes-trio-brothers-maple_box_base_1.jpg   trio-boxes-trio-brothers-silky_oak_1.jpg  
Old 05-22-2014, 08:47 AM

Today was mainly prep and finishing the box sides and base. The two timbers really look spectacular under Hard Burnishing Oil (which is essentially Tung Oil)

Pic 1 Queensland Maple under oil.
Pic 2 Burnished Walnut
Pic 3 Queensland Maple sanded to 400g prior to oiling
Pic 4 Maple under oil
Pic 5 Burnished Maple.

Regards,

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
trio-boxes-trio-brothers-panels_oiled.jpg   trio-boxes-trio-brothers-panels_finished.jpg   trio-boxes-trio-brothers-base_sanded_unoiled.jpg   trio-boxes-trio-brothers-base_oiled.jpg   trio-boxes-trio-brothers-base_burnished.jpg