talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2014, 07:33 PM

Default Maloof barstool project

I finished my barstool a couple of weeks ago and just got around to taking a few pics. I have been working on it since September but I was too chicken to post any of the "in progress" pics because of the firewood potential. But I'm happy with it so here it is.
I started two of them at the same time but as soon as I had the first one assembled, I decided to complete it before taking up the second. The second stool is now in the assembled stage and ready for shaping.
The chair is made of walnut and I used the maloof finish from Rockler. I really like that stuff and it was easy to work with. I am fairly new to woodworking and had mostly festools that I had used to build some shop cabinets. This is my first piece of furniture and it did seem a bit ambitious in the beginning. The only large power tools I had was a hammer A3-31 J/P and a Jet bandsaw. A table saw would have been ideal for a lot of the cuts needed but I didn't get one until just recently. For example, the seat required a 3 degree bevel on all of the joining pieces. I attempted to do it with the TS55 but for some reason, the angle seemed to be changing and things weren't matching up well. I ended up using the Hammer A3-31 to put the bevel on the boards and it worked great but getting the width of each board correct was hit and miss. I finally got past that and things turned out ok.
This did turn out to be a lot of fun though and I plan to try a few more Maloof pieces next.
Attached Thumbnails
maloof-barstool-project-1.jpg   maloof-barstool-project-2.jpg   maloof-barstool-project-4.jpg   maloof-barstool-project-8.jpg   maloof-barstool-project-9.jpg  

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-18-2014, 08:50 PM

Default Re: Maloof barstool project

Simply Beautiful.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-18-2014, 10:20 PM

You've done Extremely well, and being your first furniture project must have taken some guts I never would have attempted such a piece for my first furniture project. It looks like you've found the right hobby for you
The joints look nice and tight and the finish looks superb.
One point (opinion), the back rest could be shaped a little more and levelled out with the hard lines more defined. I know from experience the back crest can be one of the hardest parts to do as it's in full view from all sides and each side has to match it's opposite.
Really nice job I'm looking forward to seeing the next one!
Old 04-18-2014, 11:31 PM

Thanks Sta2it and Okami

Okami, it is funny you mention the backrest. As I made my way around all the joints, it was interesting to be using the rasp or powertools until suddenly it just felt and looked right. It seemed to happen all of a sudden. I never quite reached the point with the backrest where it clicked into place.

My second chair has a lot of really beautiful figure in the backrest so it is a great opportunity to get it right. With regard to the hard lines, are you speaking of the top front or just in general? I will have to take another look at some of Mr. Maloof's chairs to get a better picture in my head.
Old 04-19-2014, 12:54 AM
Super Moderator

Very, very impressive, Steve! So many people who try to emulate Maloof end up making really gross-looking furniture. The key is knowing how much wood to take off in the shaping, and where to put curves versus the hard edges (a sharp angle where two curves meet, such as on the front of the arms/legs on your stools).

I agree with Okamisan - you could thin the top of the back a bit (at the back). I like the way Maloof's backs looked like they were forming a drip - fat at the bottom, thin at the top, with a hard line across the top to change how the light hit it. I think you're 90% of the way there on the back, and about 100% on the rest of it.

You've done a really beautiful imagining of what Maloof might have done. I don't think he actually built bar stools, did he? I don't recall ever seeing any. I like the cloud-lift in the foot rest - it works.

Great work!
Old 04-19-2014, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
Very, very impressive, Steve! So many people who try to emulate Maloof end up making really gross-looking furniture. The key is knowing how much wood to take off in the shaping, and where to put curves versus the hard edges (a sharp angle where two curves meet, such as on the front of the arms/legs on your stools).

I agree with Okamisan - you could thin the top of the back a bit (at the back). I like the way Maloof's backs looked like they were forming a drip - fat at the bottom, thin at the top, with a hard line across the top to change how the light hit it. I think you're 90% of the way there on the back, and about 100% on the rest of it.

You've done a really beautiful imagining of what Maloof might have done. I don't think he actually built bar stools, did he? I don't recall ever seeing any. I like the cloud-lift in the foot rest - it works.

Great work!
Thanks!
It was actually one of your projects that inspired this one. I don't think I had heard of Sam Maloof prior to when I ran across your cherry side table project. I was intrigued right away and for some reason it really resonates with me.
The barstool design is Scott Morrison's who was also very helpful whenever I had questions. I don't know if he based it on something similar by Mr Maloof.
Old 04-19-2014, 04:41 AM
Super Moderator

Cool!
Old 04-20-2014, 12:11 AM

Put a few screws in the second one today. I enlisted some help to glue up the ebony plugs.
Attached Thumbnails
maloof-barstool-project-photo-23.jpg  

Last edited by SteveM; 04-20-2014 at 12:22 AM. Reason: rotate pic
Old 04-20-2014, 12:34 AM

cool
plenty of shaping with the rasps to come
Which rasps are you using for this project?
Old 04-20-2014, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okami View Post
cool
plenty of shaping with the rasps to come
Which rasps are you using for this project?
I have a few Auriou rasps - a couple of cabinet makers 10 grain and 4 grain as well as a round 13 grain, 6". I picked up their chair makers rasp but haven't really got the hang of it.
I also have a couple of nicholson cabinetmaker rasps- a 49 and 50.

I think I got the most use out of the auriou 10 grain. I prefer it over all of the others. The rasps are one of the most fun parts of this project