talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2014, 12:34 PM

Default Blackwood Sewing/embroidery work box

Hi all,

This is a box I was commissioned to make. It is 500 mm x 410 mm x 366 mm! The whole box is made of Tasmanian Blackwood, all obtained from Mathews Timber in Vermont Victoria. The figure and colour of the Blackwood used in the lid is some of the finest I have seen. The tray is made from some beautifully coloured and figured Tasmanian Myrtle. The colour goes from a pale orange/pink through to a deep red /pink, with fiddle back shimmer as well.
The box is mounted on castors so that it can be pulled around as required.
This was a very satisfying build
The finish is Hard Burnished Wattyl Scandinavian Oil. Brings up the colour and figure beautifully.

Regards,

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
blackwood-sewing-embroidery-work-box-lid_1_closed.jpg   blackwood-sewing-embroidery-work-box-lid_2_open.jpg   blackwood-sewing-embroidery-work-box-lid_3_closed.jpg   blackwood-sewing-embroidery-work-box-open_1_front.jpg   blackwood-sewing-embroidery-work-box-open_2_front.jpg  

blackwood-sewing-embroidery-work-box-open_tray_out_1.jpg  
Old 04-09-2014, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas
Default Re: Blackwood Sewing/embroidery work box

Another beautiful job, Rob!

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-30-2014, 09:33 PM

Your client must be very happy. You did an incredible job. Great looking box.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-19-2014, 06:29 AM

Very nice work, did you have any issues with the Blackwood moving while your were cutting it to size?

I bought several pieces of this stuff many years ago and while running it over the jointer to get a flat face I swear the wood moved with almost every pass. I stuck it in the back of my lumber storage to rest for a while (25 years ago).

Jack
Old 07-19-2014, 06:59 AM

Hi Jacko,

No problems with movement in the Blackwood (that's Tasmanian Blackwood). It may have been the relative humidity that was causing the problem. You should give it a try now. I'm sure it has settled down after 25 years!! Here's some more Blackwood stuff.

Regards,

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
blackwood-sewing-embroidery-work-box-dscn0313.jpg   blackwood-sewing-embroidery-work-box-dscn0370.jpg   blackwood-sewing-embroidery-work-box-blackwood_3.jpg   blackwood-sewing-embroidery-work-box-blackwood-frame.jpg   blackwood-sewing-embroidery-work-box-stig_3.jpg  

Old 07-19-2014, 04:25 PM

Rob,

I like that table, very nice work. I guess I might just as well bring that "aging wood" out again for my next project. I live in a very dry climate and the wood might not have settled down even though it was kiln dried.

Jack