talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2014, 01:07 AM

Default Dining Table

A couple of months back, I got the happy call that some people I knew were interested in discussing a dining table.
Turns out, what they wanted is fairly large. After we'd discussed it at length, I made some drawings and a couple of mock pieces out of poplar to illustrate what I was talking about. Like many, they're very visual, and I think this extra little step helped immensely in ensuring we were all on the same page.
Style is more or less Sheraton. You may substitute Duncan Phyfe if you like; he was a huge Sheraton fan and replicated many elements.
Overall length is 16', made in 3 sections, with one large pedestal under each.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tmk0oeuvh7...2010.52.05.jpg
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-09-2014, 01:11 AM

Default Re: Dining Table

Well that didn't work. I never have figured out how to embed pictures here. That one shows just how the tops started.
The core is 3/4" baltic birch ply. The edging is cherry, all staved (cut, rotated, reglued so it's quartered) - and wide enough that the edge detail / profile won't cut into the ply later on.
dining-table-2014-03-20-11.25.03.jpg
There's 2 of the top sections on the assembly bench. The primary veneer is cherry.
I sourced the bulk of the veneer for this project from Certainlywood. The product is great, but man the communication with them is just horrible. I've made 3 orders and they've jacked me 3 times. I absolutely would not recommend going there again. If my regular veneer guy had stuff in this size... sigh.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-09-2014, 01:15 AM

Ok, more later. It's not taking any pictures now no matter what I do.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:49 AM

dining-table-2014-03-20-13.41.34.jpg
Better view of the end detail. Elliptical
dining-table-2014-03-24-13.45.59.jpg
The aprons are curved. Here's a pile of thin cherry strips, all wrapped around a form. I commented at the time that taking 14' cherry down to 1/16" was like herding spaghetti. It was. Trying to keep everything in place until you had the first couple clamps on was downright sporting.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:53 AM

dining-table-2014-03-26-13.40.50.jpg
The central columns of the pedestal bases were turned on the lathe. I used the indexing head to mark off lines, then carved the reeds in.
dining-table-2014-04-02-12.11.58.jpg
The stretchers that support the top are 4 1/2" deep in the middle. They bridle one over the other, and will be anchored into the column top. This pic I like to think of as a flat out promo for the Bad Axe "Roubo Beastmaster" - which is how I cut the channels. It was certainly a little work. Even at the thinner part of the top, it's still 5 1/4" dia cherry.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:56 AM

dining-table-2014-04-08-08.38.06.jpg
And from today. I spent today doing final fitting of the legs to the columns. I had all the joinery cut, but fiddled with fit, elevation, making sure when everything went together it did so evenly. So there's 2 of the bases on top of my bench.
The legs are all reeded as well, and if you can tell in the photo, have been relieved at the ends to accept brass feet.
Old 04-09-2014, 02:07 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

WOW, Randy!!! That is some Piece(s) of work!!! You just gotta post pictures of the final install!

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 04-09-2014, 02:20 AM

That's some nice work you've got skills!!
Finishing thoughts?
Is that a dark glue line I can see in the columns? Which glue did you use?
I can see why you want to leave behind dry wall and get into more furniture making. Your skills are wasted on dry wall.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:04 AM

Yes, it is dark, actually kind of reddish brown. Cross fingers as it ages, it completely disappears. Its a UF glue. I wanted to turn them out of solid stock, but could not find any that big, so glued up 20/4. Call me funny, I'm not a huge fan of PVAs for glueing large slabs together. I've had it fail more than once, when there was no reason for it to. I haven't had UF fail, ever. Knock on wood.
Finish I'm not 100% on. I know what my preference is, but I'm not brushing that whole thing. I need to do a test run. I think KemVarLF is what I'll use. Its at least the front runner at the moment.

So on the outside of the top, there's going to be an inlaid banding, then a border of satinwood. I think I'm going to kickstart the color process with oil, but I'm going to cut it in half with mineral spirits and a shot of japan drier. Give it a couple weeks to be sure before putting the conversion varnish on it.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:45 AM

All I can say is wow. I will be watching this project closely. I have wondered about veneer over Baltic ply. what glue did you use and how thick is the veneer?