talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2014, 10:12 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas
Default Campaign Chest for Justice Lodge

After years of planning and material preparation, I finally started glueing up panels for a two-drawer chest for a traveling Masonic Lodge I was commissioned to do. It will be solid walnut with brass hardware. The walnut is locally grown and was milled about 10 years ago, but unfortunately, it was not properly stickered while drying, so the 4/4" boards ended up at 5/8" after jointing & planing, despite cutting them to rough length prior to jointing. That won't be all bad; the chest will be just a little bit lighter.

I bought the brass hardware from Lee Valley, taking advantage of the attendee sale after WIA in 2012. The had 5/8" wide corners and straps, along with proper handles. (Do you think I've had enough time to plan this?)

I am also going to build a folding stand to set it on. I plan to inset a bison leather pad on top of the chest. Hopefully, I'll have this finished in the next few years....
Attached Thumbnails
campaign-chest-justice-lodge-image-782896175.jpg   campaign-chest-justice-lodge-image-2031822314.jpg  

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-06-2014, 10:42 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Campaign Chest for Justice Lodge

Nice, Alex! I'll look forward to seeing how this comes along. I like your use of the Bowclamps for keeping things flat. How do you stop the spacer from sticking to the panel?

For the bison leather pad, are you going to raise your own bison and tan the leather? Sounds like you might have time...
Old 04-06-2014, 11:49 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

I've already got a piece of bison leather I bought on ebay a few years ago. I have several salted hair-on hides laying around, but there is not a tanner nearby to finish them. I'm going to use the MFS and router slide to hollow a spot on top to inset the leather. I think I'll do this step before assembly, just in case of disaster.

The squeeze out was not heavy enough to stick the spacer down and I took it out of the clamps after 45 minutes.

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-07-2014, 04:57 AM

Default Re: Campaign Chest for Justice Lodge

I am glad to see others work on my time line...