talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2014, 11:29 PM
Super Moderator

Default Nakashima-like music stand

Last summer a colleague of mine commissioned me to build a music stand for her husband for a Christmas present. She wanted something in the Nakashima style, which worked really well for my design sensibilities. We spent some time discussing woods - I was hoping to make the table of the music stand out of a burl of some sort. It turned out that it would have made the music stand too expensive (my woodworking business slogan is, "I'm slow, but I'm expensive.").

So I spent some time in the lumberyards, seeing what I could dig up. Fortunately I came across a piece of highly figured cherry that would supply enough wood to make a music stand and a matching chair (in another thread). The figure was stunning - almost like raindrops on glass. So that's what we went with.

My hope was to make the music stand and chair out of only two pieces of wood: the cherry and a piece of walnut. Here they are lying in my driveway:

The first task was to break down the board into pieces for the various parts of the music stand and chair: table, stand, legs, seat:

I re-sawed one plank to make the table top with a bookmatch. The wood had a lot of internal stress, so I kept it in clamps after milling to size:

I glued up the top using the panel clamps from Woodpecker:

After the glue-up, I flattened the top using hand planes.

After flattening the top I cut dados into it for the shelf. I've spent a lot of time in front of music stands over the years, and I knew I wanted to put a short extra shelf below the music shelf to hold a pencil for marking fingerings and bowings.

I made the shelves out of walnut. I made a tongue using my HP-6 with a dado sole and fence:

Once the shelves were shaped, they fit perfectly in the dados:

I shaped the table with a nice arch at the top, and inward-sloping sides to match the angles on the base and the chair:

I made some cauls to clamp the shelves down without damaging them, and clamped them into the dados:

And here's what it looks like after glueing up:

Last edited by Poto; 03-29-2014 at 11:36 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-29-2014, 11:41 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Nakashima-like music stand

The highly figured cherry turned out to have a lot of checks and voids. Some of these made it so I couldn't use the wood, but others I used as an opportunity for decoration. There were two checks in the back that I filled with maple butterflies:

The wet-looking stuff around the holes is Waxilit - a wax resist that stops glue from sticking to the wood when it squeezes out. It's amazing stuff!

I built a piece to go on the back of the table to hold the hinge that would attach it to the stand. It was glued on to the back - I masked off the area where it would be glued on so that I didn't get squeeze out.

Old 03-29-2014, 11:47 PM
Super Moderator

The music stand base was a lot more complicated than I had anticipated. The bottom was made of three pieces of walnut. A cherry upright would fit into it, with a walnut vertical adjustable post to hold the table.

I cut the shoulders for the half-lap joints on my JMP:

Here's what the pieces looked like after cutting the joinery:

Check out this fit: light-tight!

Here's a dry fit of the base:

Here are the cross-feet, shaped to size:

Here's the base being glued up:

And after, looking at it from the bottom...

Old 03-29-2014, 11:55 PM
Super Moderator

Making the vertical shafts was pretty tricky. First I had to cut a channel in the main upright to hold the adjustable shaft. The shaft was made from two matching pieces, with the channel in the middle. I didn't want any glue to get in the shaft hole during glue-up, so I used the V-groove sole on the HP-6 to cut channels parallel to the main channel. These little grooves would hold any squeeze-out and stop if from going in the main channel.

After glue-up I rounded over the edges with the HP-6 (I used almost every radius profile for the HP-6!).

And here it is with a test shaft in it:

The table of the music stand is held in place with a toy-chest hinge from Rockler. I embedded it into the top of the shaft. This was pretty complex:

The hinge fit into channels I'd cut into the top of the shaft. I drilled holes for screws to hold it in place:

I'd cut the top of the shaft off to insert the hinge. After attaching the hinge, I glued that piece back on:

After the glue was dry I shaped the pieces and put in maple plugs.

I then drilled holes in the shaft so that it could be adjusted up and down. I lined the holes with brass tubing - mostly for looks:

Old 03-29-2014, 11:59 PM
Super Moderator

So here are all the pieces of the music stand, ready for finishing. I used a Maloof oil finish from Rockler - I really like the sheen it gives.

Here's the first coat of finish. The color and grain are really popping.

Old 03-30-2014, 12:46 AM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears

Wonderfully done. I have no other words. 👍👍👍👍
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-30-2014, 01:01 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks, Mike! Wait'll you see the chair and final pictures. Hopefully by tomorrow...
Old 03-30-2014, 03:15 AM

Love Your design style and clean work, Potosan it looks fantastic!
You have some cool hand planes too, especially that one with all the profiles. Bridge City Tools?
Old 03-30-2014, 03:57 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

Very nice, Peter!!!

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 03-30-2014, 04:33 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okami View Post
Love Your design style and clean work, Potosan it looks fantastic!
You have some cool hand planes too, especially that one with all the profiles. Bridge City Tools?
Thanks, Okamisan. Yes, that plane with the different profiles is the HP-6v2 from Bridge City. They've just brought out the HP-6FX, which gives a much more comfortable grip to the plane. This makes quite a difference when you're doing a profile with a lot of surface area - like a surface bead.

It was particularly fun using mostly hand tools for this build. I still have a long way to go to be good with them, but I learned a lot.