talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2014, 05:24 PM

Default New here, so posting some projects

Things seem kind of quiet around here, Everyone must be busy working on projects! Since I am new to talkFestool, here are some of my projects.

First, a small, corner china cabinet (maple, purpleheart) I built for my oldest daughter (married with kids). Next one is a step stool (walnut and sassafras) for her. She is barely over 5 feet and was always dragging a chair into the kitchen to get something out of the cupboards.
EDIT: Picture left out, so added as the 5th picture below.

Next is my first Festool track saw project, a dog bowl stand for my younger daughter (no kids, but babies her new dog ...). It is plywood box, with cherry trim on sides and top, and covered with thin cherry MDF, and a tile inset on top. This project really proved how accurately a track saw can cut. All these dimensions were critical to get the numerous pieces to align and fit well.

Next up is a landmark plaque in oak, made for an historic building in Denver that my son-in-law renovated. I'll likely be doing some projects for him throughout the year.

I took up wood turning a couple years ago, and will post some pictures of some of my work -- pens, peppermills, tool handles, in another post.
Attached Thumbnails
new-here-so-posting-some-projects-china-cabinet.jpg   new-here-so-posting-some-projects-china-cabinet-door.jpg   new-here-so-posting-some-projects-dogbowl-stand.jpg   new-here-so-posting-some-projects-osage-landmark.jpg   new-here-so-posting-some-projects-step-stool.jpg  

Last edited by TimberMagic; 03-13-2014 at 12:01 AM. Reason: missing picture ...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-12-2014, 01:25 AM

Default Re: New here, so posting some projects

Hi Lee - welcome to the group. Your work is obviously well done, I particularly like the purpleheart and maple - nice stripes in the maple grain as well.

You are this accomplished already - just think what you can do after you spend your children's inheritance on Festools! They should love inheriting systainers full of tools instead of envelopes full of cash, don't you think?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-12-2014, 01:58 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

Very nice work, Lee!!! I've got to agree with Paul; that combination of maple with purpleheart accents is beautiful.

Alex

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 03-12-2014, 01:06 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears

Nicely done. Doesn't look like lack of Festools has held you back at all.
Old 03-12-2014, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator

Those are gorgeous, Lee! I particularly like the corner cabinet, and your use of the grain in the frame and panels. Beautifully done!
Old 03-12-2014, 04:16 PM

Lee,

Great projects!

The second picture appears to be another view of the china cabinet. I don't see a step stool photo.

Charles
Old 03-13-2014, 12:08 AM

Thanks everyone for the very nice comments.

Charles -- I goofed up the attachments, so the step stool is now there.

I'd say the corner cabinet and the step stool were some of the most challenging things I've ever built. The china cabinet door with the inset glass and trim around the glass inside the door took the longest. Cutting and planing and routing that maple was a bit of a challenge. And the maple in general was a challenge for me, to prevent chipout.

The step stool required super accurate rips since the pieces are randomly placed pieces with widths of 3/4", 1-1/2", and 2-1/4". Everything had to fit precise so I wasn't planing or sanding for months to get it all to fit! It will have to be a few years for the "experience" to wear off before I'd tackle that one again!

I was amazed at how much simpler that dog bowl stand was to get cut out, using the track saw. Next buy is a Domino. I am really looking forward to building some cabinets and picture frames using Dominos.

Last edited by TimberMagic; 03-13-2014 at 04:54 PM.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:35 AM

Very pretty.
I also like the Purple Heart and Maple, it's a great combination. Look forward to seeing more of your work.

Regards,

Rob
Old 03-24-2014, 01:16 AM

Very nice, I hope to have time to start working out in the garage once things start warming up here in the midwest.

Good job.

Bill
Old 03-24-2014, 04:19 AM

Great work. It all looks just well made and thought out . That's a lucky dog who gets their own handmade bowl stand